How long does a k03s turbo live for?

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
Hi guys,am starting to think that with the car just getting past the 100,000 mile mark,whats the likelihood of things starting to fail,mostly i'm thinking bout the turbo here,am not really into the mechanics of these things,but if it did go 'pop' is it just the turbo that would need replacing,basically, is it worth investing in a new turbo? whats your thoughts? everything else on the car 'touch wood' seems fine,been replaced,clutch cam belt etc etc

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Hi guys,am starting to think that with the car just getting past the 100,000 mile mark,whats the likelihood of things starting to fail,mostly i'm thinking bout the turbo here,am not really into the mechanics of these things,but if it did go 'pop' is it just the turbo that would need replacing,basically, is it worth investing in a new turbo? whats your thoughts? everything else on the car 'touch wood' seems fine,been replaced,clutch cam belt etc etc

Is the car remapped?

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
Hi mate,yea soz,forgot to put that in the original post,yes it was mapped a cpl of yrs back by P-torque,only mods it has had is uprated DV007,panel filter and turbo back exhaust.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Hi mate,yea soz,forgot to put that in the original post,yes it was mapped a cpl of yrs back by P-torque,only mods it has had is uprated DV007,panel filter and turbo back exhaust.

Increased boost pressures from remapping mean higher exhaust gas temperatures. That's going to shorten the lifespan of the turbo - but it depends how much you thrash it....

but enjoy it until it goes, it could last a long time yet.... :)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
Increased boost pressures from remapping mean higher exhaust gas temperatures. That's going to shorten the lifespan of the turbo - but it depends how much you thrash it....

but enjoy it until it goes.... :)

Haha,well tbh Dave,i don't thrash the arse off it really,but if it were to go,is it just a case of unbolting the shagged turbo and bolting a new one on:think:

tgorman

LCR = 285Bhp + 330Ft.lbs
Jul 22, 2009
have you been letting the turbo warm up and cool down
as this has a big impact on its life

MrTurner

Jun 21, 2009
I had a golf with K03. It was still on its original turbo at 170k when I bought it (and was driven pretty hard before I got it), and was mapped at 172k. Still going strong at 180k. Not saying yours will last as long, but stick a few quid away just in case and forget about it!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members