How long should I leave engine running before switch off?

leon_in_uk

Feb 14, 2009
Tamworth
Do you turbo guys leave your engine running after you stop? I heard after you have put your foot down a little your meant to leave the engine running incase the turbo burns out, from not cooling properly?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
about 5 seconds. its not really necessary.

there is an auxilary coolant pump that provides additional coolant circulation for a period once the engine is shut off hot.

Big_Mikey_G

Jul 30, 2009
Birmingham
I always try to let mine idle for 30 seconds or so before cutting the engine. But like Steve i try not to place too much strain on the engine for the last mile or so before i get to work.

Turbos use engine pressure to draw oil up over the bearings for lubrication. With the engine cut off they lack the necessary pressure to continue supplying oil to the bearings which is bad if you've been thrashing the engine and the turbo is still spooling down.

This used to be a common problem on alot of police cars which all ended up in the shop for repairs as they'd thrash the engine chasing crims and then when hopping out to give chase on foot, they'd switch the engine off suddendly whilst the turbo was still turning.

However, like chris said, this problem has been rectified on most new cars, with the addition of an auxilery coolant pump. I just never trust it to lubricate properly and always try to give my engine time to cool properly before killing it.

Mike.

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
I've read that the after-run coolant pump will not provide satisfactory protection for the turbo! It will circulate coolant around the turbo, but will do nothing for the oil - which will be sitting in the turbo bearings, merrilly cooking away, and trying to turn to carbon.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I always do a "slowing down lap" after a thrashing, of at least 3 miles at around 40mph max, then leave her idling for a couple of mins before switch off.

Poverty

I leave mine running for 2 mins after, or however long it takes for the fan to sop running

I always try to let mine idle for 30 seconds or so before cutting the engine. But like Steve i try not to place too much strain on the engine for the last mile or so before i get to work.

Turbos use engine pressure to draw oil up over the bearings for lubrication. With the engine cut off they lack the necessary pressure to continue supplying oil to the bearings which is bad if you've been thrashing the engine and the turbo is still spooling down.

This used to be a common problem on alot of police cars which all ended up in the shop for repairs as they'd thrash the engine chasing crims and then when hopping out to give chase on foot, they'd switch the engine off suddendly whilst the turbo was still turning.

However, like chris said, this problem has been rectified on most new cars, with the addition of an auxilery coolant pump. I just never trust it to lubricate properly and always try to give my engine time to cool properly before killing it.

Mike.

I do this too, i thought the idea to allow the engine to tick over allowed oild to flow and not crystilise in the bearings ...

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
About 5 seconds, lol.

Only live about 3 miles from work so not much time to have any fun as it is, if I spent the last mile driving slow after using the previous 1-2 to warm up it'd just be boring :D

mailat

Use a turbo-timer that has an auto function, meaning you connect the turbo-timer to the lambda sensor and from the voltage of the lambda it calculates how much should the car stay on ( the Apexi also has an AFR option on the display if you connect it to the lambda). The only problem with this is that the car cannot be locked from the remote, only "hardware" by inserting the key in and turning it. I have the Apexi turbo-timer for almost an year now and everything works good. I am recommending it.

PS: I bought it off ebay and it was ~60 pounds.

andycupra

status subject to change
there is no way id say use a turbo timer... lots of legal and insurance issues and when your car rolls down a hill cause you cant leave it in gear you will be sorry. (if you need a turbo timer your brakes will be hot as you park exagerating this issue)

and anyway here is some examples:
journey driven at normal sedate sensible speed takes 10 mins. - no need to leave it running. Total 10 mins.
same journey thrashing it, takes 7 mins. But then you need to leave it running for 3 mins. total 10 mins. - time saved, is none.
or, same journey, driven with 'spirit' but the last couple of miles taken easy. no need to leave running. total time 8 mins.

Also cooling on the move is far more efficient and the prefered way to go about it.

just drive the last few miles easy, if you do thrash it and then park it, let it run for a bit at tickover.

the additional coolant pump isnt really going to solve the main issue of turbio issues as its oil issues that cause most turbo failures.

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
How long should I leave engine running before switch off?

I would say - make sure you are at least at your destination.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
there is no way id say use a turbo timer... lots of legal and insurance issues and when your car rolls down a hill cause you cant leave it in gear you will be sorry.

Are there insurance problems if you do not leave your car in gear on a hill? I never do this.

andycupra

status subject to change
Are there insurance problems if you do not leave your car in gear on a hill? I never do this.

No there are not any insurance issues if you do not leave your car in gear. However i would always recommend leaving a car in gear, you only need to search for stories of cars wandering off down hills on here to see why.
I believe the highway code advises this also.

Someone - probably who has worked in the auto trade will come along and state, 'we are told never to leave cars in gear', - but thats because not everyone leaves their car in gear and as a result not everyone uses the clutch or checks if the car is in gear before starting the car...

I simply think in discussions like this, 'why wouldnt you leave it in gear?'.

However there are potential insurance issues using a turbo timer as the car is running without you at the wheel or in control of the vehicle.

RabReith89

Jul 7, 2009
Aberdeen, Scotland
Do you turbo guys leave your engine running after you stop? I heard after you have put your foot down a little your meant to leave the engine running incase the turbo burns out, from not cooling properly?

When u have been booting ur turbo up and u decided to park up and u drive half a mile whitout useing the turbo i would this is fine to turn the engine off after 10sec parked up as u have let the turbo cool and spool down, lil test for u drive ur car hard booting the turbo up big time then pull over and open ur bonnet and have a look at the turbo it should to glowing red or white with the heat then cool down after about 30sec this it why u have to let it cool down after booting so the oil can cool the turbo down, but i would say if u have been driving normal befor u park up only needs about 30sec if that, but if u have been driving like a mad man ;) then i would say about a 1min if u cant be assed waiting get a turbo timer :)

Rab

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise