How Many Miles on Front Tyres?

BarryHills

I've done 33k miles on the Michelin Pilot Exaltos on the front of my 08 FR TDI on 18" rims. I don't hang about, but most of my 66 mile daily commute is on dual carriageways and straight roads. What mileage have you got out of a set of fronts on your TDI?

rosco07

Apr 7, 2008
Hi. I'm averaging just under 10k on a set of fronts and less than 20k on the rear with my FR TDI with 18s. My current rears have covered 15k and was told they are at 3mm. My car has covered 30k and is now on pair of tyres number 4 & 5 - 5 being just new on the front and pair 4 being the forementioned rears with 15k.

2 of OEM Bridgestones lasted 10k, the other 2 lasted 15k and that was with rotation. After 10k I tried Falken FK452 which were destroyed after 9.5k and were replaced with Khumo KU31 Ecsta Sport which lasted slightly longer.

To be honest when the rears are lasting less than 20k, it'll give you an idea of the roads I'm running on which are mainly rough A and B roads for the daily commute & the ocassional spirited drive. I expected these figures as my previous car was no better.

Poverty

I've done 33k miles on the Michelin Pilot Exaltos on the front of my 08 FR TDI on 18" rims. I don't hang about, but most of my 66 mile daily commute is on dual carriageways and straight roads. What mileage have you got out of a set of fronts on your TDI?

TDI only? Discimination.:lol:

I get between 4000 to 4500 miles on my tires regardless of make :cartman:

Currently on my third set in a space of 10 months

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
You have done well!1 most of us get 15k tops on the fronts and 30k on the rears [ unless you have poor rear tracking and then its 15k!!]

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Is it some kind of prize to say you do the least amount of miles between tyre changes? I got a pair of Toyo tyres free with some aftermarket alloys and they did 20k on the front

My OE Pirelli Zero Rosso 17"s had done about 12k before I swapped them for winter tyres/wheels a couple of months back. I remember the fronts were looking pretty worn, so I might get them swapped or at least checked when I put them back on in the spring. The rears were looking absolutely fine so I'd expect at least 25k from them.

My winter tyres (Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 16"s) seem to be surprisingly long wearing. I'd assumed they'd wear quickly as I thought they had softer compound (to remain flexible in very cold temps) and thus would be quicker wearing... but after approx 7k miles they don't seem to be wearing too fast at all. :)

I have a long commute on varied roads - country lanes to dual carriageway. ALL the roads are currently screwed after the cold spell. Some of the potholes I have to avoid are really quite scary!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Worked out just under 4000 miles on the current Sessantas.

I have had the OEM tyres, Bridgestone RE040, Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy's and Vredstien Sessanta over 30,000 miles.

4 x OEM
4 x F1 Assy
2 x Bridgestone
2 x Vred's

Including swapping for 30k miles.

Last edited:

Poverty

Is it some kind of prize to say you do the least amount of miles between tyre changes? I got a pair of Toyo tyres free with some aftermarket alloys and they did 20k on the front

Dont you think thats meant to be the other way round? Anyone car wear out tyres quickly

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
My leon fr tdi has done 14 k now and am on to my 2nd set of fronts last week, however i swapped front and rears half way, rears seem ok with bout 4mm still on them

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Did around 28k one the original Michelin pilots and the rears are still fine (first set) at 40k....:)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.