How many miles to justify a Diesel?

Nick G

I found this link useful when comparing the cost of petrol vs. diesel cars

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/petrol-vs-diesel/?deriv=43253#manu=9909&model=1549&deriv=43253

I've set it for the Leon FR and it compares the diesel against the petrol. In the case of the Leon because the petrol is more expensive to buy new, its a no brainer.

That's pretty cool, but only really applies when buying brand new doesn't it?

I can buy an 08 Diesel for £13,500 or an 08 Petrol for about £12,500 so it doesn't seem to really work out.... it would take 24 months for the Diesel to have paid for itself (the extra £1000 i paid for it for example) but the problem is the MPG figures they give are very optimistic (38 for the petrol and 53 for the Derv).

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
Just to add a little I have a FR TDi and quite often do short trips round town, but every weekend the family and I go shopping out of town 100 miles or so round trip, thats where the difference is for me coming from a honda Civic VTIS great car but shocking on fuel, 200 - 230 miles per tank, as I get well over 400 miles per tank with the fr, and again alot cheaper to insure and tax, And had no problems with DPF, seen light once (owned the car of a year now) but quick bast down road light goes, Go with the TDi :lol:

That's pretty cool, but only really applies when buying brand new doesn't it?

I can buy an 08 Diesel for £13,500 or an 08 Petrol for about £12,500 so it doesn't seem to really work out.... it would take 24 months for the Diesel to have paid for itself (the extra £1000 i paid for it for example) but the problem is the MPG figures they give are very optimistic (38 for the petrol and 53 for the Derv).

As you say the mpg figures are very optimistic but I reckon the comparison is valid....I get around 40mpg in my FR TDI and would expect to see approx 25mpg from a TFSi in similar driving conditions so the difference (15mpg) is the same.

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
As you say the mpg figures are very optimistic but I reckon the comparison is valid....I get around 40mpg in my FR TDI and would expect to see approx 25mpg from a TFSi in similar driving conditions so the difference (15mpg) is the same.

I have to agree my fr seems to stay at 41mpg avg

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
My overall average is at 46mpg and was at 47mpg before winter, it has dropped because of leaving it running to de-ice it!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.