how much power can differing components handle?

cupra_leon

what would you say things are good for and is what power could stuff take ie: clutches and so on

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The LCR standard internals can take 320 ft-lbs and same BHP before they have been known to let go.
These have also been taken higher.
A OEM clutch can take the same figures if not given too much abuse.
Basically the whole system can take Big Turbo to these figures with out changing anything, apart from for fitting issues like Down pipes.
But to get the best out of any BT you will need a Front Mounted Intercooler, Freer flowing exhaust and DP, Cold air induction system or modified OEM airbox and air supply to it. DV needs to be changed as this could be the weak link to getting the best out of your system.
On standard turbo with the right mods you will get a fast well handling car for £4,000. For BT you will get a fast car for £5,000. On standard turbo with remap and handling mods you get a fast car with good handling for £2,000 or for a totally sorted very fast LCR with great handling your looking close to £10,000.

Hope this answers all your questions

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Is the clutch the same in the LC as it is in the LCR?

Got a LC that's gone from 180lb/ft to 250lb/ft torque and the clutch is slipping slightly in 5th/6th - just wondered if it was due to too much torque for the clutch or just the age of the clutch (70k miles)

caveo

o2j is the gear box code for both LC and LCR so the clutch will be the same me thinks

caveo

???? when shopping for cluths i didnt see a different one listed for the R ??

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Hmmm, just checked VagCat (should of been my first stop) and AUQ and BAM engines both have a 240mm clutch with the same part code (in fact, looks like all 1.8 6-speed manual Leon 1M have the same clutch) so even though gearbox may be different, clutch is the same.

So unless I go for silly power, a standard clutch should handle 250lb/ft (bearing in mind bedding in etc.) - need to get out and do a definitive test that it is slipping first (only noticed it in 5th/6th pulling away at 60-70mph - revs increase but no change in speed, need to try pulling away from 30mph in 6th and standing start in 4th just to rule out MAF or throttle problems)

Cheers guys!

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Heh, after reading your post I'm glad AmD quoted a Sachs clutch ... though I can get a OEM clutch and slave cylinder fitted with VAT for less than a Sachs clutch without VAT :(

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Right, well I'm 99% sure it's not the clutch, although I can reproduce the problem.

No CEL on the dash.

Tried accelerating from 25mph in 6th, foot to the floor and it didn't slip.

Tried doing a standing start in 4th, lots of revs and it just stalled.

Reproducing it - doing 70mph on the motorway in 4th, 5th or 6th, if you plant your foot the revs just rise and rise and rise a LOT more than the car actually picks up - thinking (hoping) it could be the MAF?

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Right - pretty sure it is the MAF - unplugged it and went for a blat, floor it in 4th, 5th and 6th and it's fine.

Got to the services, plugged MAF back in and drove back the same way, overtaking someone and it reached the red-line in 4th and 5th without actually gaining any speed ... new MAF it is then :lol:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.