How much rust is too much rust? Share your personal rust pics of your leon

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Hey guys so I'm trying to see what "normal rust is" for these mk1 cars. I've got my car on the lift and its worrying me a bit. But I'm from California where rust doesn't exist on cars.

HELP!

ILL POST MY 1M FOR EXAMPLE.
536fa945cf9033bf2a1b2fbf657d7f8a.jpg
543e03d11e3791e30fe9cce857d630de.jpg
4f4bc8c247ab3b91530c823daceaad9b.jpg
eec0d38b62faae4ea12d08c6bfdc3a51.jpg
e5bd224fe6eadd9848330fed0b1823ab.jpg

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
That looks like the underneath of car that has done a lot of sitting around for long periods.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Using flash on a camera brings out the rust image for sure! But I'm noticing the rust is on alot of replaceable parts. Shocks, axles, brake disks and calipers, exhaust, control arms, and sway bars. The only spot super concerning to me is the rear subframe. Or am I wrong?

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
I’m not sure either to be honest. Some of it will just be surface rust though.
Definitely worth giving it a good going over with waxoyl once you’ve checked everything out thoroughly and replaced anything that needs attention.
I’m considering getting my cars professionally undersealed. It’s not cheap but I’ve seen cars that have had it done and it’s looks great. Just need to be sure everything’s in good condition before it’s done.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Using flash on a camera brings out the rust image for sure! But I'm noticing the rust is on alot of replaceable parts. Shocks, axles, brake disks and calipers, exhaust, control arms, and sway bars. The only spot super concerning to me is the rear subframe. Or am I wrong?
I'd be taking a wire bush to it and replacing the parts needed. Bushes will all need replacing imo. As above, looks like it's been sat for a long long time... probably on grass.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
It's kinda one of those will I replace most of those rusted parts anyways? Then it doesn't matter. As long as the chassis itself doesn't have rust. But then you also think... how much money and time will it take to replace these parts with upgraded.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
It's kinda one of those will I replace most of those rusted parts anyways? Then it doesn't matter. As long as the chassis itself doesn't have rust. But then you also think... how much money and time will it take to replace these parts with upgraded.
With a car like this you need to think long term...very long term. Quattro Leon is the same as the S3....a money pit. Great cars but all in all a money pit. Most if not all S3 owners will agree.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
With a car like this you need to think long term...very long term. Quattro Leon is the same as the S3....a money pit. Great cars but all in all a money pit. Most if not all S3 owners will agree.

Luckily I do all the work myself and have a knack for sorting out good deals on parts. So itll be less of a money pit as Joe schmoe who needs Audi to change his brakes and oil for him with there up the but no lube prices

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
The thing is, it still has a Seat badge, so I would say it's about as much of a money pit as a cupra R. I dont have the 4 rings to pay for, but I have the premium Haldex parts to worry about. Likewise Cupra R doesn't worry about 4 rings but they have that nice prestigious R badge and BAM motor.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Is what it is mate, If your good with the spanner's, not needed the car as a daily I'd strip it down and check the integrity of the parts not just bush them down and spray. If your going to keep the car long term I'd just replace the all the smaller parts,arms,roll bar ect and check out the rear sub and hope not to replace that. I'm not sure but I would think the TT Quattro and S3 are a good source for second hand bits and bobs.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Is what it is mate, If your good with the spanner's, not needed the car as a daily I'd strip it down and check the integrity of the parts not just bush them down and spray. If your going to keep the car long term I'd just replace the all the smaller parts,arms,roll bar ect and check out the rear sub and hope not to replace that. I'm not sure but I would think the TT Quattro and S3 are a good source for second hand bits and bobs.

Definitely nice to pull from TT and S3 versus the golf 4motion. Bit more performance oriented.

The brush and spray was just a temporary thing I was contemplating. Making it look a bit healthier and possibly slow dow the spread of rust, to the other parts and falling into my eyes when under the dirty girl.

Although it has now crossed my mind to tune this one to stage 2+,clean and spray the rust off, and have fun with it till I find a very clean example 4x4 1.8t. Then swap all the stage 2 parts. (Easier said then done, they salt the roads in most Germany when it snows.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Definitely nice to pull from TT and S3 versus the golf 4motion. Bit more performance oriented.

The brush and spray was just a temporary thing I was contemplating. Making it look a bit healthier and possibly slow dow the spread of rust, to the other parts and falling into my eyes when under the dirty girl.

Although it has now crossed my mind to tune this one to stage 2+,clean and spray the rust off, and have fun with it till I find a very clean example 4x4 1.8t. Then swap all the stage 2 parts. (Easier said then done, they salt the roads in most Germany when it snows.
Was going to ask where you was and the salt issue. What's the rest of her like? Sills, arch's ok? Me I'd just take that bush and not stop till stuff stops falling off. You may find it really is just surface rust and it's pretty solid.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester

The only part that is rusty under my car IS the rear subframe! I think it's just susceptible.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
It's surface rust on thick bits of metal and personally I wouldn't worry about most of it. The only exception are those rear shocks which look rather - shock lol - and I'd likely be replacing them.

If the rust bothers you then attack it with a wire brush and use a £10 pot of black chassis paint.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
It's surface rust on thick bits of metal and personally I wouldn't worry about most of it. The only exception are those rear shocks which look rather - shock lol - and I'd likely be replacing them.

If the rust bothers you then attack it with a wire brush and use a £10 pot of black chassis paint.
Thanks for the advice man! I think I'll do just that! Go to town with it! Then spray on rust resistant chassis paint. For sure the shocks will be replaced gonna go with some coils. But just for inspection purposes I'm gonna shoot them with matte black paint after a scotch bright. Pretty much just trying to pass inspection with as little money spent as possible. To then buy all the parts only 1 time. I dont wanna buy a bunch of stock parts for inspection to just upgrade them later anyways. But looks like I'll have to buy a muffler. 30 euros plus shipping not too bad. This one just had to much rust to fix.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
That does appear to quite significantly corroded under there but as pointed out it's all essentially surface rust on unboltable parts so easy enough to remove and refresh.

My latest Cupra R had its fair share of grot beneath its undercarriage but the chassis was sweet so of no real concern as I'd planned on pulling it all off anyhow.

I had spare subframes, wishbones and all new suspension components so plenty of prep work and several tins of Frosts chassis satin black and I ended up with this lot...

913b119e0d37ea35b4a9685380c01f76.jpg
58a5d895e6a51bb9b86ef61efe9ce26a.jpg
643b212970c5a142327c3d8f20839dfe.jpg
58f46462c9fe8227f811c8efce0f12a8.jpg
62e6708610d6bb4ffb49f8477703cba5.jpg
0d5e239990d61836e6ba530f115b0707.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.