How to - Change Brake Light Switch

fipsy

What I meant by reset is start from scratch. As in unlocked, piston fully extended like it should come as new.

KS_leon

So took the dash off last night and did this after my brake lights haven't been working for the passed couple of days. It was easy to do probably took about 30 mins (most of which was putting the dash back together).

Needless to say, drove to work this morning and then my warning lights on the dash came on again. Checked my lights against another cars paint work (it's difficult to see them when you've got to push the brake pedal :p). Any way when I slammed my foot on the brake (mostly anger than anything:censored:) the lights worked and the EPC light on the dash went off. Fired up my OBD Car Reader and it gave me a pending P0571 code (brake light switch).

Any ideas anyone? Got a long motorway trip this weekend so want brakes working well and it's got it's MOT next week....I need a bit of good luck at the moment and need a pass...Just had to have new tyres and changed the rear discs and pads (which was a nightmare)...

:help::help:

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
this place saves my neck yet again....takes longer to get the dash off than to change the sensor!

Topper Harley

Brake lights stopped working yesterday, followed this guide and all is well again! Thanks!

Ellis jack

Just a quick one mines gone again on my 54 tdi fr. I'm sure I used this part number last time as followed the guide, but not lasted that long. Is it correct or do I need a different one to above?

doodle86

May 26, 2013
west mids
Brilliant guide.. Glad people have got the time to put them on otherwise i think we would all be out of pocket by a few quid with ridiculous garage prices for such simple jobs :)

Vik

Oct 8, 2013
Walsall/Birmingham
Great guide!!!
Jus saved me a few quid!!
Bit of an awkwardly placed job but pretty straight forward once the lower dash is off!!
I managed to avoid forking out for a new part aswel jus took the switch off gave it a clean and put it back and hey presto back to normal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
ta very much stan24v
just done switch on my 53 plate lc
great guide very helpful

now on 141k and still going strong :D

Mothy

Aug 27, 2015
North Wales
Great 'How to' guide.

Hello everyone - Im a newbie on here as ive just purchased a 2004 LC TDI 150. The brake lights wern't working so I looked on here and found this great 'How to' guide by Stan24V. It really was a piece of cake once i had read the step by step guide. I removed my brake light switch, operated it in my hand for 10 or 15 times and the brake lights started working again:funk: Perhaps the switch was sticking or a bit dirty, anyhow i will see how it goes for now and replace it if it stops working again. Thanks again Stan24V:)

bgatty68

May 1, 2012
Thank-you

Stan24V thanks for this guide I had an issue with my switch and after putting it off because I was fiddling by the pedal and the issue fixed itself, until last weekend when I knew I had to change the switch. It was a breeze with this guide and it was something that I would have not attempted in the past but it went exactly as the guide was written absolutely perfect and now brake lights after perfect again :) the only issue I did have was I bought the 2 pin switch and when I removed my switch found it was a 4 pin so just changed at the suppliers ;)
Guides like this make life for non-mechanically minded people like me so much easier.:happy::happy::happy:

Lank

Apr 30, 2016
Can this said brake light switch bring up epc light at all as if u hold accelerater down and press brake it kills engine speed

Miss Chief

Jun 4, 2011
That's a VW 'safety' feature AFAIK. If you try to accelerate while braking or holding the brake pedal the ECU won't allow it and you'll get no go.

slickbone

Apr 4, 2010
Thank you very much for this guide! Found that my brake light switch had gone after getting the 'coil' warning light on my dash.

I tried to remember as much as possible from this guide as I had to replace the switch in the works car park.

Although the brake lights work, I have somehow managed to get another problem which is when I put my dipped beam lights on, the fog lighhts come on.

Going to create a new thread.

Thanks again!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members