How to change leds in dash cluster [Pic HEAVY]

mesh

Mar 4, 2015
SCQ Spain
Well, as I stated before, I have changed the LEDs in the RPM and Speed and looks like this:

xbajyw.jpg

Yesterday I have been playing around with a spare cluster I have trying to figure out how best to proceed in order to change the temp and petrol gauges.

For those of you who haven't opened the clocks, the speed and rev are simple to change. You just have to change the 4 sideled to white and leave the other two smd led nearest the needle red. There is a white plastic shroud that separates the colours so there is no mixing of colours.

21kklqo.jpg

The temp and petrol gauges on the other hand are a completely different story, there are 2 leds per gauge and there is no separator.

So far I have tried the following:

1. Changed both LEDs to white. The clock face is white but the needle, although it has a red backing to it, with white LEDs it looks pink.

2. Changed one LED to white and left the other. To separate the colours I used a bit of electrical tape. This gave the needle a red colour but the dial was lit perfectly only the side nearest the white LED, the other half was in shadow.

I am going to try and do the following to see how it works:

1. Paint the needle red with special glass paint and leave two white LEDs. See if it matches the other needles colours.

2. Used a different type of LED. A 3 or 5mm LED that will allow me to raise it towards the needle and then I may not have the need to extend the plastic shroud:

images

For those of you that have changed the colours, what tecnique have you used?

Cheers

Last edited:

mesh

Mar 4, 2015
SCQ Spain
Here's mine done all dials.
50b5dcfd2e0a825085010cf584484d68.jpg

How did you manage it? If you don't mind me asking... Did you change all the leds to white? If so, are the needles not a light red nearly pink?

Today I tried changed the smd led for a round 3mm led further up the plastic cowling...

29qlj4l.jpg

And the result was far from acceptable... :(

2nstkk1.jpg

Not sure if it is due to the fact that the round leds offer less intensity than the others... or whether it is the battery I am using... its a 12v off one of my little ones electric motorbikes.

Last edited:

mesh

Mar 4, 2015
SCQ Spain
Well, I changed all the petrol and temp LEDs to white, although to test a few things I left one as standard and went over the other one with a permanent red marker... the results are not what I expected with the marker:

amzhpw.jpg

The dial on the left (temp) is the one I painted with the marker and you can hardly see it. The one on the right (petrol) is the one I left alone which, when compared to the speed dial, in which I left the two LEDs red, is a lighter shade of red:

2625x15.jpg

Not sure if I want to change all the LEDs so that the needles shine a light red as then they will not be the same colour as the two clocks, or the climate control screen, or the stereo...

cma9g.jpg

Will keep on testing or wait for a reply... which ever comes sooner... lol :thumbup:

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Can anyone tell me where i can get standard low light green PLCC-2 3528 SMD LEDs as changed my indicator leds as one had died and they are ridiculously bright at night that other cars must think im having a rave every time i indicate at the lights.

All i can seem to find are ultra bright geen leds:cry:

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
I made a canal to the base of the white plastic surround between the white led and original red led. Red led inside the canal and white outside, aiding the reflection of it with foil. I'll find some pics in a minute.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.