How to drive a tdi? Warming and cooling...

Mar 13, 2010
Yeah, I used to run v-power every 3 or so fills, now I just use V-power everytime, car runs smoother and just feels better somehow, (maybe its the peace of mind), but anywhooo.

I recommend http://www.petrolprices.com/ for finding cheapest fuel in yoiur area, sign up for free and its class, saved me alot over the months. :cheers:

I find it seems to sharper the throttle respsone, as for power or whatever im not sure but it runs and burns cleaner so cant be a bad thing.

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I wouldn't say I drive it like a granny, I do do 55mph on the motorway sometimes, but give it a boot on the slip road most days. I'm getting a 4 wheel alignment on Saturday so will take it for a boot over the Cat & Fiddle after that!

I use V-power or BP ultimate (whatever is available) but have used it since I got the car so can't comment on the gains. On 5th gear they tested a golf gti with different fuels and BP ultimate and V-power made it put out a few more bhp and a bit more torque. Apparently the expensive fuel is best for turbo cars. I just use it because it's supposed to have more detergents in it.

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
I wouldn't say I drive it like a granny, I do do 55mph on the motorway sometimes, but give it a boot on the slip road most days. I'm getting a 4 wheel alignment on Saturday so will take it for a boot over the Cat & Fiddle after that!

I use V-power or BP ultimate (whatever is available) but have used it since I got the car so can't comment on the gains. On 5th gear they tested a golf gti with different fuels and BP ultimate and V-power made it put out a few more bhp and a bit more torque. Apparently the expensive fuel is best for turbo cars. I just use it because it's supposed to have more detergents in it.

you my friend are a lad! :lol:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
You're reading too much into it and the obvious rules apply as to most cars. i.e. don't drive too hard cold.

I drive a like you do most of the time, the reality of heavy traffic I suppose. However at least once a week there are a couple of spots (up hill) which if no one is about or I drop right back if someones in front and drop down and floor it. Usually its second to third and sometimes fourth and it stays there that's it. Obviously you've got to be careful where you do it due to the speeds sometimes involved.

But that's all it is, a clear out of the crap.

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
im also a bit like this i think.
I drive a mapped 130 tdi and think way too much about how long too let the car warm up and how long too let the turbo cool down.
Before i pull away i let it sit for 30 secs or so.
Then As a general rule of thumb i drive the car, when cold, usually changing gear before 2000 and not flooring it at all.
When the coolant needle reaches the middle i drive however i feel best suited too.
In other words usually flooring from 3rd gear to 4000 revs (sometimes to redline) - it just spins in 1st and second if i floor it, and then go staright into 6th lol
I do in fact have a tendancy too always floor it in 3rd when warmed up.
Im extremely paranoid about taking it to over 90mph even on private roads. Always think im going too blow it up or break it.
Im also extremely paranoid now i have a turbo about what im doing wrong.
Whether i should let it boost when cold or what.
For some reason my turbo feels alot quicker in boost some days then others. ie tonight it didn't feel too fast. Yesterday boosted very quickly.
Whether this is down too how i have warmed the car up i don't know??
When i stop driving i have on a few occasions just turned the car off even if i have been driving very hard (matter of habit having just come from a non turbo petrol shed)
Generally though i wait a couple of mins.

Can someone explain whats been said about clearing all the soot and how i should do this??
And what people have said about still going into boost when cold.
Ie my car boosts around 2000rpm but as i feel a little boost when cold i change out of gear.
Also if theres anything im doing wrong??
And whats limp mode?
:)
Thanks

Last edited:

onesh0t

Mar 28, 2010
As a general rule of thumb for engine's longevity:
1. When cold shift at 2500rpm
2. When warm shift at 3500rpm.
3. On a cold start let it sit for 15-20 second to equalize the oil pressure.
4. When turning the engine off, let it stand for 10-15 seconds to let the turbo stop spinning.
5. If driven hard, let the engine stand for 2 min before turning it off.
6. Once a week give it a blast (put your foot to the floor a few times, preferably under load, i.e. hill).

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
when giving it a blast though do you mean in every gear??
Just one gear?? And blast it for how long?? You could blast it just until 3500??

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
when giving it a blast though do you mean in every gear??
Just one gear?? And blast it for how long?? You could blast it just until 3500??

Every person to their own. But what he means is, redline it a few times in different gears to clear excess soot. You can do this in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I find a good thrashing for 10 to 15 mins a week should keep evertything in working order :)

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I wait 20-30secs before setting off then wait a good few mins after the oil is warmed up before booting it as I think the gearbox oil temp is still catching up.

Then once I'm happy all's warmed up I let it go to 2 - 4k revs without worry. I find it difficult not to molly coddle it though as I don't want to be too hard on it! Where I drive its difficult not to be going stupid speeds if I use the rev range fully. I am a bit worried I'm being too easy on it as it rarely gets batted around.

Another thing - I think top qual oil is very important too when the motor's warming up and being used to the full. I really noticed my car sounded a lot happier on 507 .00 spec.

Last edited:

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I was a big Millers Oils fan before I got my Ibiza and was very happy with their XFE oil. When I got the Ibiza earlier this year I had it serviced by my trusty mechanic and had him put some XFE-PD (Semi Sytnhetic) in it.

Compared to Mobil 1 ESP 507 fully synthetic my engine sounded a bit ratty on start up with the XFE PD. I guess it's tough to compare a semi synth oil to a fully synth one but to me there really is an excellent difference on the engine warming up and running - as Scotty says it purrs :) I have way more confidence with the 507.00 and will be sticking to it.

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi

Excellent advice on here..............gotta love it! :)

I've just read every post and it would seem I'm treating my car right!

It regularly gets given an thrash between 2nd, 3rd and 4th! :D Only after a smooth 10 -15 mins of 30-40 zones though. I leave the car to tick over for about 30 secs or so before driving off. Not so many hills on my work route though (449 from Wolvo to Stafford.) Gets the occasional run to Bristol too.

The only thing is, I use regular 'supermarket' fuel and use Millers Sport 4 additive. I used the Mobil 1 507.00 oil for my first service change too. I used an small amount for top-up during the 12 months before. I've not tried V-Power or BP Ultimate. Yet! It's only because I've not seen it in my area, and surely it's an no-brainer driving many miles for it! :confused:

As for the OP claiming he's an old man............pah! The thing is, we all drive like that from time to time. Well, maybe not 55 on the motorway! lol

Thanks for the advice and keep em coming!

Cheers,

Andy

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.