HOW TO GUIDE: De-Wipering! - Flush Tailgate (PICTURES ADDED!)

bizzaboy

Following random discussions and threads on the rear wiper on the Mk4 Ibiza,
Here is a guide on the complete removal of the rear windscreen wiper assembly, for a very sleek look!

Total time to complete - 30 minutes?
Cost of Parts required - No more than a fiver!

Parts required:
- 1 x 25mm rubber aerial antenna grommet (can be found in Halfords).
- Plumbers putty or sealant.

...From your Toolkit:
- Screwdriver with torx/"star" shaped bits.
- Pair of Pliers or Socket set.

Now get your hands dirty:
* First, undo the single bolt and remove the complete wiper/arm from the tailgate.
* Open the Tailgate - Then, remove the 3 plastic covers on the inside of the boot hatch trim.
- Centre one around boot catch / 1 each side that provide access to lights.
* Remove the 5 torx screws. 2 either side of boot catch. 1 each side by light units. 1 in handle recess.
* You should now be able to prise the complete tailgate trim from the inside.
- It's also held in by a number of metal clips that will pull out with gentle persuasion.

The rear wiper motor mechanism will now be accessible...

* Unscrew the 3 bolts to release the wiper motor - It will drop loose.
* Pull off it's power block connector, tuck it out of the way.
* Pull off the water pipe and using the plumbers putty, seal the end to prevent water leaks!
* Push out the rubber seal/grommet that is in the hole through the window.

* Refit the tailgate trim (reverse of the removal guide above).

* Finally, drop the tailgate - Fit the new rubber grommet into the hole left in the glass.

JOB DONE! Cheap mod, takes virtually no time at all, and really tidys the rear of the car! [B)]

See Post #37 in this thread for updated installation pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

bizzaboy

good write up aswell mate!! :clap:

Cheers! Decided to get on with the job last night, after chatting here with a few guys about this.

The most daunting task was removing the Tailgate trim - however its just 5 screws and a bit of tugging to get it off - not as bad as first thought!

Was a race against time though, getting it all tidyed up and complete before dark!
.........I also had to race over to Halfords to buy the grommet/sealant, to finish off.

Might sound trivial but really does make a difference - so much neater without it.

fr-tdi

Detailing freak!
Feb 7, 2008
fife, scotland
RRhdr1.jpg

100_0388.jpg

heres mine

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
surprised me how well it looks:Dis it not annoying after u were used t having rear wiper?!?!i use mine a bit like...think i would miss it :L

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
I think i would miss it aswell, I clean my car a couple of times a week but my back window gets filthy.
I want the I/C water spray though, might be a mod for the weekend i think. :D

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
i took mine of at the weekend, i think this is more of a mod for the "summer":confused: months. As being hatchbacks the rear window glass is going to get really filthy. Unless you can get a washer jet to spray on the glass to rinse it, and get another one linked to a pressure switch under the accelerator peddal that will activate the intercooler spray on full throttle? Any thoughts?

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
Im in the process of doing this now, done everything up to the prying the trim part off, it just won't budge

bizzaboy

Im in the process of doing this now, done everything up to the prying the trim part off, it just won't budge

Hi BigWill - good to see this Guide is going strong! :)

Removing the tailgate trim, ensure you have located/removed all 5 torx screws.

The Trim is also held in by a number of metal clips, it WILL pull off with a little force - concentrate on pulling around the clips, where the plastic still feels tightly secured. ;)

bizzaboy

done, thanks for the guide matey, pics up soon

Great - well done! You do have to pluck up some courage to give it a good pull, as you worry the Trim could get damaged, but it does come off intact. :)

Look forward to the AFTER Pics! ;)

Sonic1506

Jun 12, 2010
sorry to bring this up from the dead

but does anyone know how to get the wiper arm off ?

ive tried pulling it and turning/twisting it and it wont budge. Anyone got any Tips ?

i've let WD40 sit and soak and it still hasn't helped

Sonic1506

Jun 12, 2010
yes, i have undone the bolt. all that needs doing is taking that flipping arm off then i can put the grommet in and job done

cant get the flippin arm off! its doing my head in

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
Have you taken out the motor in the boot as well, sure you have but its the only other thing I can think of that's keeping it held in

Sonic1506

Jun 12, 2010
the bolt has been taken out underneath the plastic cover on top of the wiper arm

the 3 bolts have been taken out of the motor underneath the plastic trim panel in the boot.

some guides say to pull on the wiper arm to get it off, but ive tried this and it doesn't do anything. The arm is solid. Once the arm is out the motor will drop out no problem

any more idea's anyone ?

Wilber

Feb 3, 2010
Belfast
Everytime i wash the car, which is usually one or twice a week. Granted i dont have diesel smoke to deal with, but mines not usually that dirty.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.