How to make a diesel sound better?

Oct 12, 2005
I was just wondering what mods can be done to make the diesel sound better. I love my diesel but would love a good sound from exhaust.

Thanks

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
milltek systems sound well , tho u will still get the diesel clatter from the exhaust, speak to jbs or awesome through here and youll get a few quid knocked off the price

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
i "had a dump valve on mine, yeah IMO it sounded alright but it pissed me off cuz when i wanted to drive normal it would go off and also go off really long when lifting off gas and letting revs drop naturaly (but leave in gear)

ive got a custom 2.5" straight thru exhaust on mine with the smallest back box i could find, it sounds fine when moving / accelerating, but it just amplifies the tractorness when idling!!!

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Take a trip down to powerflow or similar custom exhaust fitter, and get them to make a straight pipe from the turbo back. Get rid of the cat and backbox.

Sounds lovely! Dropped my brother off at heathrow, and it sounded great going through the long tunnels :D

Costs around £120, so pretty cheap considering.

There's many many threads on it mate.... Search for mufflerectomy)

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
If it is a diesel you can do the downpipe without the cat.
Get the non res Milltek and that will sound better.Awesome sell Milltek at a discounted price , so have a look on the web site and check it out.
You could even do the CAI to get a beefier sound too
Sarah

Oct 12, 2005
DIFT said:
Take a trip down to powerflow or similar custom exhaust fitter, and get them to make a straight pipe from the turbo back. Get rid of the cat and backbox.

So what will that do....it sounds interesting. What are the benifits?

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Sod the milltek etc. The best sound from a diesel will be without a muffler at all! Straight through, £100ish, job done. Will try to get you a video clip tomorrow mate...

Benefits: Deep raspy Sound, more turbine noise especially at idle :D, Cheap, Nice tip from you to choose from (less limited than milltek/powerflow), 20+kg less weight on the rear end, some report quicker turbo spool up, but in effect the gasses are getting out quicker so may be true (maybe 1BHP worth!)

Induction kits you should watch out for, some sound ok, some sound more tractor-ish. Dump valves are about £200 which for a 'Tissssh' noise is a bit much for most people.

Last edited:

Moffmo

Get the clip up for me please, would love to hear it :D

Is it loud? or arent diesels that loud?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
EdButler said:
Sod the milltek etc. The best sound from a diesel will be without a muffler at all! Straight through, £100ish, job done. Will try to get you a video clip tomorrow mate...

Benefits: Deep raspy Sound, more turbine noise especially at idle :D, Cheap, Nice tip from you to choose from (less limited than milltek/powerflow), 20+kg less weight on the rear end, some report quicker turbo spool up, but in effect the gasses are getting out quicker so may be true (maybe 1BHP worth!)

Induction kits you should watch out for, some sound ok, some sound more tractor-ish. Dump valves are about £200 which for a 'Tissssh' noise is a bit much for most people.
sound advice:clap: try http://S44.photobucket.com/albums/f37/tdipower4me/?action=views&current=rolltdi.flv

Black

Intake modification will make a difference. At least it did for me..

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
philtdi said:
DIFT said:

So what will that do....it sounds interesting. What are the benifits?

Much what Ed wrote. Its nice, but not overly loud.
I'll try and get a film clip/audio clip if I get a chance, if someone can upload/host it for me?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Mines much deeper than that, although the passat never seemed to get the turbo full spooled.

I'll sort one tommorow... get my bird to stand in the street with my phone :cartman: ... she loves it!

There is another video on here of a Fabia Vrs with a straight through exhaust on a trackday, possibly devonutopia??

Phil Its all covered on this thread mate... http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87929&highlight=mufflerectomy

Which I didnt need to tell you about cause you did a search didnt you [B)]

Last edited:

Moffmo

Not sure i like it tbh, sounds very tractor like before any turbo power!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.