How to make quadruple rear running lights

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Red would look good in the footwells, but I'm planning to change the LEDs in the dashboard at some point to either white or blue.
The seats are the standard part leather interior that comes in the V5 :)

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
As requested by greck999 here's pictures of the clusters. Silly of me not to have them in the first post, but here they are:

20120313164124.jpg

This is the outer/standard running light.
The red wire on the left is the one I added, which runs up the c-pillar and down the hatch.
The wire you want to clip onto is the second lowest one, grey with black line, actually marked #2 when I look closer! :)

You can also see the blank indicator bulb I use, which gives a whiter glow than the stock amber.

20120313164256.jpg

This is the hatch cluster.
You can see how I used connectors at this point, if I ever wanted to revert back to standard lights. Who knows. :p

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
I also have LED rear lights, Would these be able to replace the inner bulb you recon?!?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Light...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aae84d0b8

Not sure on voltages for rear lights when braking / fogs.

But thats just an bulb replacement I recon?!
Not sure it would be a straight fit, as the LED panels are 36x40mm, and there is a hole for the bulb to go into, IIRC. Not saying that it can't be done though..! ;)

Thanks for pointing these out, might have to order up a few of them and try to see if they can be fitted! :)

Any photoshoppers are welcome to try and make a quad LED conversion! :)

Voltages while braking and at fogs are still 12V. Or at least something close. Brighter light comes from brighter bulbs beeing 21 WATT instead of 5 WATT! ;)

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Was just a couple of steps away from ordering 6 LED panels, but decided to wait, as I don't think it would be a straight fit? Splitting the lights would have to be in the summer I think! ;) Thanks for the links though, LEE69.

You finished them yet, greck999?

greck999

SLOW work in progress....
Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Hi mate. Dont be concerned with the black and the yellow wire that Poliq has connected there as they are nothing to do with this setup.
Just the red wire that connects to number 2 black and grey wire only.
Thats for the side lights....;)

Neil.

greck999

Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
027f07d4-6e72-cc34.jpg

This is the way i did it. Followed number 2 black and grey wire, then joined to it here.....
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
Cheers thats cleared it up alot for me now
the red wire from the holder onto the back of the bulbholder is for the 21w fog light where as the other is the 5w light

Just need to find the correct holder now should have the wiring required somewhere

Last edited:

greck999

Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Just make sure u search BAY15D bulb holders on eBay. U should find what you need...:p

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
This is the bit im confused with as it isnt clear what connects to what

Hi mate. Dont be concerned with the black and the yellow wire that Poliq has connected there as they are nothing to do with this setup.
Just the red wire that connects to number 2 black and grey wire only.
Thats for the side lights....;)

Neil.

greck999 you got it right!
The black and the yellow is used for connecting side lights to the ignition as required by law up here! I guess. :p It's done to all imports AFAIK.

Cheers thats cleared it up alot for me now
the red wire from the holder onto the back of the bulbholder is for the 21w fog light where as the other is the 5w light

Just need to find the correct holder now should have the wiring required somewhere

Yep! Thats right! Are you getting a garage to do it job for you??

This looks awesome! I am very tempted to do this to my LCR :)

Great guide too!

Thanks CupraTim! Maybe a suitable project for easter? [B)]

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
Yep! Thats right! Are you getting a garage to do it job for you??
[B)]

Nope will be doing it myself.
once ive seen how its done im usually able to do it myself however i will be doing it in the morning so if i do mess up badly the electrician will still be avalible to
However after reading this thread a couple hundred times and analyising the pictures i think i got it

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members