How to replace Intercooler on MK2 Leon?

has22fas

Jul 7, 2014
My current intercooler has a leak in it I just bought a new one how do I go about replacing this myself? thanks.

has22fas

Jul 7, 2014
Found it easier when i had to replace the radiator to go in via the front bumper.

Oh, cheers mate so when I remove the undertray and front bumper, do I have to remove the headlights aswell? and how is the radiator and intercooler bolted on thank you.

Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
I think from what i can remember we just took out the screws for the front of the undertray. But yes, lights and a few other things have to come out. They are bolted together and can be angled that you can pull them out via the space the headlights left.

G31

May 18, 2014
Wales
How did you get on with this Asce? I'm in the middle of replacing the turbo but need to get the Intercooler off to flush it out

has22fas

Jul 7, 2014
How did you get on with this Asce? I'm in the middle of replacing the turbo but need to get the Intercooler off to flush it out

You're going to need a few hours to spare, I did manage to replace the intercooler.

You have to remove the bumper via Torx T25-T27 screwdriver and remove the undertray then Remove the headlights and disconnect the wire loom behind them, then unbolt the support bar in the front the one that sits infront of the intercooler, you have to disconnect a few hoses to the radiator and anti-freeze will leak so make sure you have a spare bottle handy. Then you have to unclip the intercooler pipes at the bottom pull up on them with a flat head screwdriver and pull out the pipes from the intercooler. You will then have to unscrew the radiator from the intercooler and put it to one side from the front there will be two screws holding the intercooler in place unscrew them and the intercooler will be able to move more freely pull up and out and that's it ;):p

G31

May 18, 2014
Wales
Thanks to you both! I'm halfway there i think, going to finish off the rest tomorrow. I have also ordered a new intercooler as i'm scared there will be debris in the old one - plus where the pipes connect it is a bit broken. Busy weekend ahead!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.