How to replace the grill on the Leon mk3?

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hi all, I'm new here. Already have done a lot of reading since I got my new Leon last month. I have the Leon MK3 ecomotive model with the closed grill (see photo). I now ordered a new grille with the honeycomb structure.

But how can I replace the grill without breaking stuff. And is it possible to replace the grill without removing the front bumper...? Is there maybe a DIY or manual available on how to do it?

Hope you guys can help me..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
I ordered the grill at a official Seat dealer and they said would'nt be a problem. The reason for the closed grill got to do with the emission law here in the Netherlands on cars. Simply said, how less polluting the car how more financial attractive te car is. The car also has an extra large roofspoiler and extra spoilers on the sides of the back window to make the car more aerodynamic and therefore less polluting.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
There's a guy on here who took the chrome trim off. Said it was a pig to do and thought he should have taken off the bumper. This is not for the faint hearted though. Mine came off as the parking sensors were factory fitted incorrectly and the technician couldn't get it back on . He damaged it and in the end they replaced it with a new one. It comes in primer so that meant paint too.

So take great care

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
Thanks for your answers. So there aren't any manuals and/or DIYs for replacing the grill or removing the front bumper as far as you guys know?

ij-leon tdi

Apr 8, 2014
east kilbride
Jim.krokke. How long did you wait for the replacement grill? i have been waiting for three weeks or maybe the stealers are taken the piss and haven't ordered it.

robbyd6

Apr 5, 2012
wirral, merseyside
I would say it is impossible to to remove the grill without removing the bumper as I had the bumper off my fr last week to wrap the chrome grill surround in gloss black vinyl. It's not that difficult to get the bumper off and I do plan to do a guide when I take it off again in a week or so and I've got my post count up haha. But getting the surround off the grill was a pig of a job with all the clips involved. I'm guessing you will be replacing the whole grill inc the surround which iirc is only on with a few torx bolts. I'll add it to the Guide when I get ass in gear and sort it.

Rob

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
for the mk2 you could have removed the grill without taking the bumper off.

is this the mk3 ecomotive that you have ? (googled it, never seen one on the roads)
seat_leon_ecomotive_front_action.jpg

seat_leon_ecomotive_rear.jpg

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
for the mk2 you could have removed the grill without taking the bumper off.

is this the mk3 ecomotive that you have ? (googled it, never seen one on the roads)
seat_leon_ecomotive_front_action.jpg

seat_leon_ecomotive_rear.jpg

Is that a reflection or does it have little spoilers down the sides of the rear window?
Not a fan of the grill but looks closer to the Cup racers grill which I wouldn't so no to :)

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Look like side fins and a bigger than standard 1 piece spoiler (not an addon one)

705_SEAT_Leon_Ecomotive_review_rear2.jpg

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I quite like that rear spoiler, bit bigger but not OOT. not too sure on the fins though, but if they add 10mpg then sign me up! :lol:

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
@Robbyd6 I really hope you get your ass in gear ;) I will only start replacing the grill when I know how to do it. So I will be waiting on your guide. You could become famous with the first DIY on how to remove the front bumper on a Leon mk3. ;)

Yes indeed, it will be a full grill replacement.

I'm very curious to see your grill with the black trim. Do you have pics?

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
@gamer555 Yes, that's my car. Only removed the Ecomotive sign from the back. And my windows are tinted, so nobody notices the black side fins :) And got the rims of my former Golf mk5 instead of the standard rims.

The rear spoiler looks like an add on in real life.

I would like to upload some pics of my car. But did not post enough yet to get permission to upload...

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
@ij-leon tdi I have waited 10 days total for the new grill. Did you get your hands on yours in the meanwhile?

ij-leon tdi

Apr 8, 2014
east kilbride
@ij-leon tdi I have waited 10 days total for the new grill. Did you get your hands on yours in the meanwhile?

still no joy with the grill, thinking that the dealers don't want to replace it even though it was part of the deal. Got the car at the start of April and every time i phone its always some sort of sorry. shower of a**h***s.

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
I would say it is impossible to to remove the grill without removing the bumper as I had the bumper off my fr last week to wrap the chrome grill surround in gloss black vinyl. It's not that difficult to get the bumper off and I do plan to do a guide when I take it off again in a week or so and I've got my post count up haha. But getting the surround off the grill was a pig of a job with all the clips involved. I'm guessing you will be replacing the whole grill inc the surround which iirc is only on with a few torx bolts. I'll add it to the Guide when I get ass in gear and sort it.

Rob

Hi Robby, any news on the guide to remove the bumper...?

McKrocket

Apr 26, 2014
www.facebook.com

Rob

Hi Rob, maybe you could share the pictures you've made with me? I really like to see how it looks behind the front bumper and to know where all the bolts are.

I think I'll will have enough info with the pictures to get the bumper off myself. And maybe I could finish the guide then to share here on the forum.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
I've got the chrome surround which I had toyed with painting black. Any further ideas on an easy grill removal?

EoinM

It really is a bumper off job. I had a stone chip on my chrome and I had to break off the old chrome to get it off. Cut my hands to bits in the process too. Never again would I go near it.

Anyone know a part number for the eco rear spoiler? It's nicer than the accessory one, kind of like the cupra one without the need to go messing with the lights. Wouldn't mind getting one.

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
It really is a bumper off job. I had a stone chip on my chrome and I had to break off the old chrome to get it off. Cut my hands to bits in the process too. Never again would I go near it.

Anyone know a part number for the eco rear spoiler? It's nicer than the accessory one, kind of like the cupra one without the need to go messing with the lights. Wouldn't mind getting one.

Ok so absolute ******* of a job - leave well alone. Got it! :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members