How to tell if the mk2 has the PD engine

Slabbydee

Apr 24, 2016
The age old question.

Just wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction for finding a 1.9tdi mk2 Leon for the missus. I know there is a few options when it comes to bhp and have heard that this can reflect the type of engine. Are there any other ways of telling apart from this? Thanks in advance.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
There were only 2 types of 1.9tdi, that was the 105ps and the 90ps, both of which were PD engines.

The 2.0 Tdi had more variations, there were the 140 and 170 PD engines in PD format between 2005 and 2009, at which point the CR (common rail) engines replaced them (same outputs).

Lastly the 1.9 was replaced by the 1.6 Tdi CR, also 90ps and 105ps options.

Easier way to tell of PD or CR is the age of the car. If it is pre facelift or a facelift ecomotive 1.9 then it will be a PD. All other facelifted models will be CR.

Last edited:

Slabbydee

Apr 24, 2016
Ah right, I had no idea. I have been messaging someone about one for sale locally and she said that when she checks the log book it's saying BXE(?) Any idea what that is?

Slabbydee

Apr 24, 2016
This is the advert, pretty sure this is mk2 prefacelift, but just want to be certain :) ...won't let me post a link here yet but it's gumtree advert no.1165864827

Slabbydee

Apr 24, 2016
Thank you! Seems like a lovely flourishing community here.

Ok that's a bit of a turn off... I had no idea there were as many different models of the PD engine. I need to be looking for any of them that aren't the BXE one then.

I must look up the 140 2.0 tdi, all I have ever heard has been horror stories of the 2.0 VAG diesels though. I guess that's a good one in a bad bunch?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Lots of horror stories about most engines form most manufacturers I'm afraid. Any PD engine with a dpf (the 170ps, the 1.9 Ecomotive and some Skoda 140ps) seems to have generated the most publicity, alone with the BXE 1.9tdi.

Turbos are the weakness on the 140ps that I suggested, but overall it seems the favoured option. No dpf to worry about on the leon either! Remaps to 180ish ps so has potential.

Have you considered the petrol options? The TFSI sport and early FR models would be in your budget. They remap easily to 240ps, but even standard they areare quick motors.

pre facelift is all PD

pre facelift also has, the bigger S in the boot, also metal either side of the boot lid, the front bumper a deeper look rather than the pre facelifts wider look, thats just a few examples of exterior to identify

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.