How to upgrade Stereo

N77A

Nov 8, 2019
I have just bought a 2014 Seat Leon tdi which comes with the standard 5 inch touchscreen stereo. It’s not the technology pack so it doesn’t have a sat nav either. I would like to upgrade the stereo to the one in the 2016 Seat Leon which has full link so i can connect my phone through apple car play and use google maps. Is this possible? Would it be as simple as unplugging the old stereo and plugging the new one in?

Also where would be the best place to buy one as I’m looking on ebay at the moment.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
No, it's not that simple. CP (component protection) would have to be removed from the 'new' unit and it will need coding to the car.
Also your car may not have the unit that fits in the glovebox, may need a lot of wiring changes.
May be better to get a third party radio system.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
It is possible to retrofit the upgraded system. I've seen a few people who have completed it on facebook groups. However from what they've said and what everyone says when the question is asked is that it is a difficult job to do due to component protection, coding and additional wiring that needs to be installed if you haven't got the nav unit in place already, which you've said you haven't.

Possible, but difficult. And potentially expensive as you'll have to buy all the stuff needed.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members