hub nut needed

mark.w

Does anyone know where i can get a new front hub nut from as the thread is wearing off mine?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I believe it's meant to be replaced every time it's removed. Any guesses why the thread is 'wearing off', it's not exactly meant to be a serviceable part?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Does anyone know where i can get a new front hub nut from as the thread is wearing off mine?

That sounds a bit serious or strange, as said already you NEVER reuse the centre nut. Is it the wheel fixing bolts that you are talking about - but they should never end up "wearing out" their threads unless the hub flange internal threads have been damaged - Seat or any VAG dealer for either of these parts, though you might need to get the hub flange threads cleaned up if its them taht is causing this problem.

mark.w

yeah its the nut that is in the centre of the hub (36mm i think). I got told i'd need to remove the driveshaft to get to the ball joint but when i've tried to put the nut back on it tightens but then if i tighten it a bit too much it loosens again :confused:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
yeah its the nut that is in the centre of the hub (36mm i think). I got told i'd need to remove the driveshaft to get to the ball joint but when i've tried to put the nut back on it tightens but then if i tighten it a bit too much it loosens again :confused:

Yep, that sounds about right. The threads on the hub nut are most definitely 'one use' only, as soon as they're torqued up they stretch, and shouldn't be used again. That 'loosening' is it skipping a thread, so you'll never get it torqued up properly.

SEAT should have plenty of these in stock though, they have to be replaced for all sorts of jobs, including the ball joint as you say. Come to think of it, GSF and Eurocarparts should also have them.

mark.w

I've also forgot to mention that after replacing my ball joint and trackrod end i now have a squeaking noice when goin over any sort of bump, big or small. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing the noise? could it be because the tracking needs doin or something to do with the hub nut?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Not to state the obvious, but does that mean you're driving without having the hub nut torque to spec? Because that's quite a bad idea. Not only does the torque hold the nut on, but the initial tightening also pulls the driveshaft tight into the hub.

mark.w

No i'm not driving it, it's sat on my drive. Just trying to find time to get too the local dealers for a replacement nut

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yep, that sounds about right. The threads on the hub nut are most definitely 'one use' only, as soon as they're torqued up they stretch, and shouldn't be used again. That 'loosening' is it skipping a thread, so you'll never get it torqued up properly.

SEAT should have plenty of these in stock though, they have to be replaced for all sorts of jobs, including the ball joint as you say. Come to think of it, GSF and Eurocarparts should also have them.

I don't want to sound contraversal here, but the only issue with re-using these front hub nuts is that when you remove it you break the locking tang - that is all. If you have torqued it up so that it is jumping over the threads then you must have used some serious torque! Maybe the drive shaft threads now need to be checked for damage as well as fitting a new nut.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I don't want to sound contraversal here, but the only issue with re-using these front hub nuts is that when you remove it you break the locking tang - that is all. If you have torqued it up so that it is jumping over the threads then you must have used some serious torque! Maybe the drive shaft threads now need to be checked for damage as well as fitting a new nut.

I 'sort of' agree with you, there shouldn't be any reason why they can't be reused. But in my experience I've seen too many failures from reusing 'one use' bolts to risk it. My worst one left me with a front sprocket on my bike no longer attached to the gearbox, and it was only a stroke of luck that it didn't cause the chain to snarl up on the cover. And I was doing 70 on the M6 at the time...needless to say I don't do that anymore! :)

It really is up to the individual, but in general the one use fixings are fairly cheap compared to the cost of the rest of the job, so it just seems a good idea to change them.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah but if you have seen the locking tang on these hub nuts then you'd probably agree that the locking element really does get wrecked when the nut is unwound - if I remember correctly, its a sprung steel finger sort of thing that "ratchets" as you wind the nut on so commits "sideways" when you unwind the nut - (locking) game over - time for Loctite though if VAG don't think that that is a good idea then maybe stick with their thinking and bin it.

mark.w

Managed to get 2 from the dealers, £6.96 for the pair. Fitted and now my car is back on the road.

Cheers for the help everyone :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise