Hybrid issues!

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Hey guys.

Had a hybrid turbo fitted to my PD130 Ibiza yesterday. The best of both graphs makes 230bhp and 330ft/lb of torque. Which I've been told by several people, the torque is WAY down on what it should be?

But tonight I have had problems. I took the advise of the people that did the turbo for me and was gentle with the turbo for the first 100-200 miles of it's life. I have tonight covered around that 200 mile marker since the turbo has been fitted, so I thought I'd give it the beans in 3rd to see what was what. So I gave it some welly in 3rd from about 2500rpm, took it to the redline (not into the red as I never drive my car like that) and got to 4200ish rpm and all power just dropped off as if I'd hit a limiter. The power went and the exhaust note got REALLY loud. I only had around 2psi of boost, if that. I thought I'd blown the turbo. No smoke though and no strange noises, so carried on home VERY gently as it was only about a mile away.

I got home and parked it on the drive, let it tick over before turning the engine off as i always do. Turned the engine off, checked for boost pipes popped off, checked exhaust as it sounded like it'd dropped off! All was fine. I let it cool down for a few minutes and re-started the car.

Exhaust note seemed to go back to normal, took it 300 yards down the road and boost was fully back (well, went to 10psi as wasnt driving it hard). So i presume it went into limp mode?

But why would it go into limp mode after one blast in 3rd? The guy that used to run this FMIC before me had it on his Allards Hybrid Ibiza and has never had his car go into limp mode.

Is it a turbo problem? Is it a map problem?

ANY help guys?

strugers1

do you have a boost leak mate??a split hose could cause it to go into limp mode??

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
do you have a boost leak mate??a split hose could cause it to go into limp mode??

I didnt have as it was boosting to 30 psi! Not unless one split under the pressure of 30psi!

How can I tell? There's no smoke still and I thought boost leak's made the car smoke like a bitch?

Why do you think my torque figures are so low compared to other hybrids? I'm just a bit worried that there might be something wrong with the turbo with it producing such low torque figures and now this.

I had the intention of upgrading to Seat Sport intercooler soon, but think I might be doing it sooner than first planned. I want to get the EGR removal pipe, so then I can put my metal charge pipe and silicone hoses to try to elimate more standard pipework.

strugers1

well you know my figures, but after a couple of days i went to amd to compare my car to maz (same turbo but different company mapped his)
my car ran 214bhp and 295lbft so i lost loads but i was thinking i had a boost leak, two days later a pipe popped off.. but i had no extra smoke no nothing until the pipe let go.
maybe a pipe is working its way off but has not let go yet??
i even had a garage check mine out and they could not find a leak lol
phone will tomorrow and explain to him the situation
he will be more than willing to help you

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
well you know my figures, but after a couple of days i went to amd to compare my car to maz (same turbo but different company mapped his)
my car ran 214bhp and 295lbft so i lost loads but i was thinking i had a boost leak, two days later a pipe popped off.. but i had no extra smoke no nothing until the pipe let go.
maybe a pipe is working its way off but has not let go yet??
i even had a garage check mine out and they could not find a leak lol
phone will tomorrow and explain to him the situation
he will be more than willing to help you

I have sent him a PM on here so hopefully he'll pick it up today at some point.

I hope I dont get boost leaks - that's just gonna be annoying. :lol:

strugers1

tell me about it poxy things its all i kept getting for 1week so annoying lol

strugers1

double jubilee clipped every joint lol
but after i sorted the leak the car was much faster like i say nealrly stayed with my mates remapped lcr so she flies lol

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
double jubilee clipped every joint lol
but after i sorted the leak the car was much faster like i say nealrly stayed with my mates remapped lcr so she flies lol

I might order the new intercooler and pipework soon then and then do that while I'm at it. Just can't upgrade all the standard pipework. But i'll try to do as much as possible to prevent the standard crap joints from popping off! :doh:

strugers1

have you got a graph mate?? would be interesting to see the difference between the two,
but i only have my amd graph which i had run with the leak.
but i am after smoothness and power holding rather than figures for this experiment lol

very intresting this! i had an issue with my standard turbo making the pipein behind the driver headlamp pop off with a stage 2 map! i aways jumped when it did so, sorted it by jubilee clipping the quick release clip,

after the hybrid was fitted, the half oem piping is still holding well, and the other half which is forge piping is still perfect!

after reading the limp mode problem, this happened to mine when it crapped its old kkk turbo, when i replaced it with a 130 garrett and 300 miles later it went in to limp mode after 1 mile of hill climbing,

and 2 times again going up hill, after this it didnt go into limp mode for 7 months till the hybrid was carried to the turbo. i would put it done to the mapping, or start off by replacing the air mass sensor just in case with a 150 sensor

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
have you got a graph mate?? would be interesting to see the difference between the two,
but i only have my amd graph which i had run with the leak.
but i am after smoothness and power holding rather than figures for this experiment lol

Nope. Will said he'd send it on as he can't send it due to his laptop being knicked in the second raid. :(

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Got a video of my boost "jump." Sorry for the poor quality and shaky video, but watch the boost around the 10psi mark. It's under normal, consistant acceleration and I can physically watch the boost stop, then jump past 10psi. Then at the end of the video I plant it to show what might be my "unhealthy" amount of boost?

Not as good video - dont even know if it shows it or not.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Ash, the problem is certainly not cooler related. As you know the forge cooler has run much more power than this before.

It should also be nothing to do with the injectors being maxed out, as this will only affect top end.

If your car is making 2 bar of boost, when the torque comes in, I'd be hoping for near on 380+ft/lbs of torque. I understand a lot of the RS hybrids are running about 1.8 bar of boost, and all are running 370ft/lbs+, some making over 400ft/lbs.

As has already been mentioned elsewere, dyno's generally get the torque figure right however, there are a number of ways of fettling the BHP figures. This could be down to confusing the air temperature reading, or a number of other things.

Im no doubt going to get a slating saying "if your such an expert why dont you do this for a living then", and fair enough people can say that to me. I've just done a bit of research into it.

Hope things turn out alright for you though bud. I believe my friend Mark will be in contact with you pretty soonish. He's working on a little something, but cant promise anything.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
What would you say is causing the problems then Tom? I'm totally lost! :blink:

I've been told it's either ECU, faulty MAP sensor or air temp sensor or something similar or turbo issues.

No error codes though (although I think i'll plug it into VAG com just to be sure).

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
I would try a map sensor first as they are only around £35.
I had a similar problem, although i dont have a boost guage fitted, Icould tell my boost was surging in a similar way to yours. After fittinga new map sensor all is well now.
Glynn

strugers1

you wont hit 400lbft with standard injectors though
mine are maxed out at 355lbft
ok rollers differ so on rs rollers i could have 380lbft but on p-torques i only got 355lb ft

brad1

as glynn said, try a map sensor, if still the same, try a new maf sensor, ive had two faulty ones from GSF car parts in the space of two weeks, it happenend to me, i went round a roundabout, and put my foot down off the roundabout and the car just lost all power, and it was boosting weird, this turned out to be a broken maf again!!! this was the second GSF maf, never buying a GSF maf again!!!, always tps parts now, but your symptoms sound like mine tho mate, get a map and maf sensor, im sure it will be one of those ;)

also my broken mafs didnt bring up a fault, the reason of this might be the sensor isnt reading correctly, but is just about functional not to bring up a fault code if you get me??? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.