hybrid k04 023?

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
no flames for calling the k04 a big turbo!!! anyway, saw a post on vortex about a seat ibiza making 300 bhp on a k04 hybrid. ive also heard of a guy in the uk who claims that his hybrid k04s " will make 32psi all day long". i havent talked to this guy myself , or verified his claims.he charges about 700 plus the vat. this german outfit charges 699 euro. again i cant verify any of their claims. has anyone heard of them?

http://www.ls-cartec.de/angebote.htm

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2334728

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
It's the same cupra, was originally owned by Surfer_D (he posted on here the same time he posted on the vortex), Surfer_D sold it to Casper I think, Casper's active on here so he might post up.

Modded K04-23, running with MAP sensor mods. Cheap enough from L&S Cartec, but difficult to get specs out of them (I tried) because of the Language trouble.

Two other modded K04-23 you can get, one from "ImolaVirus" off audiworld.com, his name is Jacob Buehn (sp?) and he has a website http://www.buehnengineering.com/forums/ he does lots of hybrids/modded turbos for Audi A4/S4/RS4 and he did a TT225 one. A guy on Audiworld.com had one for his S3, took AMD ages (Months?) to map it and I don't think it performed. Not sure if "Lee" with a Mk1 (?) GTi fitted one. Theres a thread on www.audi-sport.net

Another one you can get is from www.turbodynamics.co.uk. "Expensive" (£1200+vat) though, and their guy was of the opinion that you'd need a manifold as well. Might as well go proper big turbo.

Also, HGP do a different turbine housing to fit the K04-23 - I think it's the hot side that's weak on that turbo (opinion born out of nothing but guessing). That's classed as xpensive too - £600? Plus rebuilding, obviously. I'll see if I can find a link...

A&M and JBS are both talking about doing K03/K04-23 hybrids though - would be best for you surely? In fact, with a "better" manifold than the stock K04-23 manifold, these might make more top end than a stock K04-23, with a theoretically high boost threshold.

Vern knows a lot about what other peeps are running, he might remember what BMX is running on his TT?

Last edited:

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
ps the reason im asking is ive blown a boost hose and have been 5 psi down ever since. i assume its due to over spinning the turbo, although i havent taken off turbo to see

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
t18con said:
ps the reason im asking is ive blown a boost hose and have been 5 psi down ever since. i assume its due to over spinning the turbo, although i havent taken off turbo to see

Eww. maybe yes..
thats unlucky.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
If it helps, I contacted a couple of peeps who had got cams etc off L&S - they didn't have a bad word to say about them.

Casper

swoooooooosh
Jul 7, 2005
Feel said:
If it helps, I contacted a couple of peeps who had got cams etc off L&S - they didn't have a bad word to say about them.

Yup, L&S are a good company to deal with, never had any problems with them. And the price for this turbo is nice imo. :rocker:

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
K04 is a weak turbo,are the gains really worth the outlay?280bhp is possible at a push with a standard k04.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
so what is th JBS-04 turbo, is'nt this a K04 hybrid or something, they are saying up to 290 bHp on stage 2 with more to come from the awaite stage 3.

Casper

swoooooooosh
Jul 7, 2005
ryan_s3 said:
K04 is a weak turbo,are the gains really worth the outlay?280bhp is possible at a push with a standard k04.

It is stronger than standard k04- you can run 1.8bar , on standard, no way. So for that price i don't see a single thing that is bad; it is cheaper than std, it is more reliable, has better spool up time and it makes more power. It is a no brainer.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
I suppose if your standard item expires fair enough.At 1.8 bar i bet your manifold is cracked with the heat.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members