Hybrid K04 Turbo Discussion

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
Well mines been in the shop for two weeks and.................................still over boosting, hitting 30spi on the odd time but 26psi most of the time then trailing off to 21psi till redline

Your not going to get around the boost spike with a N75 its the nature of the turbo. Yours is holding well mate, I have been thinking of getting one of those Forge Wastegates!

Triple D

what are these turbos supposed to handle? as my old turbo on my derv was designed to hold 2.2bar peak................. and around 1.9 bar at redline.

surely they could hold more than 1.3 bar at the redline?

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
what are these turbos supposed to handle? as my old turbo on my derv was designed to hold 2.2bar peak................. and around 1.9 bar at redline.

surely they could hold more than 1.3 bar at the redline?

Diesels boost more anyway! The guy who puts them together said that it could hold 1.4BAR @ the redline. But we have been struggling to get 1.3 BAR

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
What i mean is that your not going to be able to control the boost spike with the N75 controlling the boost! It's simply too slow to react especially if you have replaced the F valve for a H or J.

That's right, and Scotty has a turbo that WANTS to make more boost, but it's run on standard settings - so no wonder it's surging...

It might be possible to speed the N75 up by adjusting it, but that would make the surging worse, you could reduce the surging but that would reduce peak boost and probably make the spiking more erratic. You can't have both.

You either need to get it mapped to suit (and reduce the requested boost lower down :thumbd: ) or turn the boost up and get a manual boost controller. IMHO.

Last edited:

Triple D

Diesels boost more anyway! The guy who puts them together said that it could hold 1.4BAR @ the redline. But we have been struggling to get 1.3 BAR

oh right............... could you not fit a tdi hybrid with the K04 fitment manifold then? that way still standard fitment but able to withstand more boost?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Sie's running what a few TT owners run:

http://www.modshack.info/bm.htm

A couple of different ways to plumb one in though, Sie would have to tell you how his is.

Apexi AVC R looks like a nice bit of kit, but not "cheap". There's a few people run them - I think Robdon and Bill have them and some of the beeza boys?

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Triple D; said:
oh right............... could you not fit a tdi hybrid with the K04 fitment manifold then? that way still standard fitment but able to withstand more boost?

Diesel turbos are normally too small so can't hold boost that well at high revs and/or run too hot

Triple D

Yup, i know my turbo blew to pieces after a short 5-10 min blast on full chat as the egt were up to narly 700 degrees

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Sie's running what a few TT owners run:

http://www.modshack.info/bm.htm

A couple of different ways to plumb one in though, Sie would have to tell you how his is.

Apexi AVC R looks like a nice bit of kit, but not "cheap". There's a few people run them - I think Robdon and Bill have them and some of the beeza boys?

looks a nice piece of kit, has it sorted SIE's spiking issues.
700 degrees is normal for egt's.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Yeah MBC is the way forward i think. I had intended on getting a jabba re map with fun twister but they didnt want to map the turbo.

Ive looked at the apexi unit but its a bit expensive, any one know of any other good alternatives?

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
It's not really worth it mate! It takes control away from the N75 by slowing the preasure signal down to the wastegate. Doesn't help to eliminate spiking, just sustains it for longer when the ECU finally tries to bring the boost back down!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members