Hybrid K04 Turbo Discussion

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
How do you mean its surging? Is that just with the boost spike or across the entire rev range?

As for my boost machine I have disconnected it for the time being it's alot more driveable!

Eh? So what's happened there then - I mean what's happened to sort out the boost spike? I know you've sorted a few boost leaks etc, or is it the manni?

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
I turned it down when the turbo hose kept blowly off and i noticed that part throttle driving was very on off, very little control. It much better now! The spike has been worse since installing the mani with the controller, another reason for going without.

I'm still running the same boost as what i had the BM set up to run! I now have v-tune running at 108% boost so i'm still getting just over 1.2BAR @ the redline!

Need more logging now! ;)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I turned it down when the turbo hose kept blowly off and i noticed that part throttle driving was very on off, very little control. It much better now! The spike has been worse since installing the mani with the controller, another reason for going without.

I'm still running the same boost as what i had the BM set up to run! I now have v-tune running at 108% boost so i'm still getting just over 1.2BAR @ the redline!

Need more logging now! ;)

I've noticed yours doesn't normally spend much time at part throttle. No wonder you didn't notice before... :whistle:

So the BM reduced the spiking before the manni, but you got part throttle surging AND it made the spike worse when the manni was fitted. So, the BM is now off (no longer plumbed in/back on standard N75) and the spiking's gone even though you're running at 108%?

I wonder if this is manifold or becaseu you tweaked the actuator rod?

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
The spiking was worse when the new mani was fitted but the ecu has adapted a bit so it's not too bad now. But with the BM it causes bad part throttle boost control. As the BM effectively slows the response time to the N75 the wastegate stays open for the same amount of time so when the boost overshoots the ECU can't bring it back down due to the time delay by the BM. As a result of this the boost stays at the spike value then tappers off as usual!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Eh (again)? Revo do stage 2 and 3 for a lot of cars :confused:

Not sure where you've heard that, or why it's relevant to a discussion on K04 hybrid turbos, but it's the first time I've heard anyone suggest it so it can't be a common myth, or even a myth.

You're just plain wrong.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Well this weekend i finally fitted the hybrid. Fitting was a pain in the arse but worth the effort. Well pleased with the results so far. Logs to follow this weekend. Pulling very strong. :) No real problems with spiking so far.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
You just running standard settings at the mo?

Firstly i ran it in stock apr settings which was an improvement to the original set up. Now i'm running on Octane 98 standard stage 2 software apr map which feels alot stronger than the old turbo setup. I'm looking forward to loging, Vtune tweaking and actuator fiddling;).

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Did you check the actuator before/when you fitted it? If not, since it's running well, I'd make sure it's all tight/locked up right now, and make a note of the measurement...

You sound chuffed with it, I bet you're happy you got it now :D

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Did you check the actuator before/when you fitted it? If not, since it's running well, I'd make sure it's all tight/locked up right now, and make a note of the measurement...

You sound chuffed with it, I bet you're happy you got it now :D

Yes mate, very happy. The problem i have now is getting all the power down.
I may splash out on a decent suspension setup.:)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Coilovers, dog bone mount and GOOD tyres make getting the power down much much better! :yes:

I was very surprised at just how much coilovers make getting the power down easier! :D

All three above mods make the car much more drivable imo! :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.