Mar 25, 2009
bath
good evening men and women of the world wide web

i have a mk4 ibiza pd130

stage 1 remap 175bhp/300ftlbs were my lucky numbers from the dyno lottery
ss intercooler
panel filter
decat 2.5" exhaust system

looking to pick up the pase a bit, ideally looking for a solid 220bhp and for it to hold it well. i can keep up fairly well to my mates 300bhp astra vxr but it would be nice to leave him :)

ideally i would like a bolt on unit and some advice on a clutch.

i have seen the darkside turbo kit but the 2k for the kit, plus injectors, downpipe faffing, and then clutch on top, its pretty costly

im thinking a hybrid would be much easier as its bolt on no faff, well less faff anyway. i know sending the turbo off is cheaper than buying from turbo dynamics, but is there any reliability issues? ideally i would rather just buy a new,remanufactured unit and keep mine as a spare.

i have also done a bit of reading about this gtb2260/1756 business? but this then needs a custom manifold made right? which i REALLY dont want to do. plus i have no idea what figures it gives

also with regards to the new turbo, i would assume i would need a 2.5" downpipe, i currently have a 2.5" system but was cut from just infront of the cat. so maybe i get a propper decat pipe fitted before i get the turbo work done...

what clutches do you guys recommend, i dont want the noise of a smf and the darkside kit isnt the cheapest. what clutch and flywheel kit will reliably hold the torque i may achieve?

sorry for the million questions, i was going to buy a supercharged mx5 and run 2 cars but with the mx5 insurance coming in at £700 i think i would rather just take mine further

reviews of people turbo set-ups would be great too, real life driving compared to stage 1 map. i am in no way a racer but love being able to overtake and hope that although the peak figures arent a whole lot more, i will realistically have a lot more power to play with??

cheer

zach

tdi_swedge

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
I can only go off my spec but others may come in with totally different views and opinions.

I currently have a stage2 hybrid GT1749VB with p-torque software. I found this turbo a nice and easy bolt on job. I am also running a SS FMIC and green pollen filter.

I have been using a Sach Organic clutch with my standard DMF (capable of 390lbft i believe)

As for exhaust i was running a mismatched system consisting of std down pipe with cat chopped. Std centre section and a powerflow backbox (all different diameters looking at it on my garage floor) i am currently upgrading to a 2.5" turbo back system.

But i was using that exhaust for the last year with no issues

My setup was running 241.2bhp and 346.8lbft

Me personally if i was to do it again i would of liked to go big turbo like a 2260 but i am more than happy with my setup currently - obviously you can never have enough.

That is just my 2pence worth

Ste

Last edited:

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
The GTB turbos are awesome - standard off the shelf turbo, no lag, strong boost, ultra reliable.

But very expensive to install - custom manifold and downpipe and then you have to have custom piping from the turbo exit.

Always get a new hybrid turbo. So many people have had problems with recon units.

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Hi there,

I recommend a GTB1756VK or if you want more, and guaranteed strong power, then a GTB2260VK.....beating your mate would be much more fun and do-able with a 2260.

They don't have to be expensive to install, as you can TIG weld a 1.6TD manifold from a Mk3 Golf onto one and use a flange to make them plug&play.

The 1756 has no lag and the 2260 has a bit, but both would perform better than a traditional old-generation turbo which has been hybridised, giving stronger power, less lag and (debatedly) more reliability.

(As the next level up for the future, RyanP at Darkside Developments is developing GTB hybrids, which I'm sure will be AWESOME, but they are not out yet).

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like hybrid is denfinitely my route

Ste how did you find the compared to a stage 1 map, if you had one? And your on your standard dmf?? I thought these were only capable of 300ftlbs?

Zach

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Cheers leon, if that is the case, why don't dark side sell the manifold already tig welded on?

I don't mind a bit of lag, it's the nature of a turbo

Does anyone have any photos of what a gtb looks like with a welded manifold? Off and on the car? I have a guy who can do the welding if it's off the car

tdi_swedge

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Ste how did you find the compared to a stage 1 map, if you had one? And your on your standard dmf?? I thought these were only capable of 300ftlbs?

Zach

I did have stage1 map before the hybrid. The car is much more capable now with hybrid. I felt with stg1 it ran out of steam but the hybrid just wants to pick up and go from quite low down.
The std clutch is rated at 300lbft i believe. I had my gearbox off last month and checked the dmf and it was within tolerences

Ste

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Thanks again mate, that's pretty much what I'm hoping for, the stage 1 map is brilliant for 2nd/3rd gear but really does run out of puff after that, I want the feel of 2nd gear in 4th :)

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
I had a CR Turbos hybrid on my Cupra and it was good, felt strong in the mid-range but the 2260 feels better and it's currently mapped around the car being down on compression

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2009
bath
Although its extra hassle, I'd rather have a 2260 over a hybrid, just in terms of reliability more than anything, did you buy the dark side kit Andy?

If not can you tell me what you bought in order to fit it please :)

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
I got everything bar the turbo itself from Darkside as I was originally going to go the flange welded onto a cast manifold route (still got the cast manifold converted to bolt a GTB turbo on), I'd buy their kit over a hybrid any day as like you say despite being more hassle to get fitted it's an OEM turbo that hasn't been messed about with so you'd think it will be more reliable. Look at Ryan's Jetta, it's used as their demo/dev car, gets given death and refuses to break

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2009
bath
So what did you buy then?

Reason being the kit is 2k which is a lot of money, but the turbo is only £800? So £200 for the downpipe which means its 1k for the manifold!!

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Was this cheaper than buying their kit then or did you already have your turbo?

Would you pm me what you paid? If you don't mind

It's proving a tough decision

Still not sure whether to go hybrid or gtb :(

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Thanks mate will have a read

I know you're saying go gtb, but what is the difference to warrant the extra cost? Not really knowing either I'm not sure whats right for me yet. The gtb may be overkill for what I need perhaps

I hate not knowing what to do :(

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
it'll go well with a hybrid but the GTB is better, it's kind of more of the same. people will say a hybrid pulls hard all the way to the limiter but with the GTB mine absolutely steams into the limiter without really letting off if I'm not careful. As far as I'm aware, I can be making more power than I would with a hybrid but the turbo's not being as stressed so reliability is improved

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Yeh that makes sense, your pushing a hybrid to its limits really but with a gtb you can run them safely and have future possibilities if clutch/injectors allow

Mar 25, 2009
bath
think i might have to go hybrid route, i didnt realise the darkside gtb kit turned into £2400 added to the basket!!

why do companies list prices excluding VAT? pain in the @ss!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.