I hate being beaten by a AHQ polo :(

elcristoff

Cupra Sport ****yeah!
Apr 8, 2009
Portsmouth
Hi guys, i have a '99 ABF'd Ibiza, and the loss of power is just silly. It had a service 3 months ago, including plugs, leads, filters, pumps and oil, and it flew. However, my oil sender switch went a week after ownership so i replaced that and refilled the oil, and now it is just a slug (so much that my mates 1.4 16v polo can beat me when we have a little mess about :()

I have a couple of questions;

Firstly, where is the MAF sensor located? Is this the sensor looking thing that is at the bottom of the inlet manifold? Would the seal that keeps this in the mani cause a major loss of power if it was corroded?

Secondly, whoever owned the car before me has fitted a breather filter to this instead of running the breather pipe into the intake. would this cause a lack of power?

I seriously have no idea what is going on with the car, just its slow and its boring me alot... ok i jest, love the car, but i want all of my 150 ponies back :)

all help would be awesome :D

Chris x

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
Best bet would be to get it hooked it to a diagnostic machine see if it returns any fault codes might be cheaper in the long run.

elcristoff

Cupra Sport ****yeah!
Apr 8, 2009
Portsmouth
OK mate, i'll give it a try. someone near me has VAGCOM so i'll see if it returns anything.

Can anyone help me locating the mass airflow sensor?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Ah brilliant, cheers for your help guys. So can anyone tell me what the sensor at the bottom of the inlet manifold is?

Idle Stabiliser Valve (ISV)
i think that's what it's called, you can take it off, clean it out, but only for idle really

i would check your thermostat, air massflow sensor (you already looking into it), manifold, gunked up throttle body

just a few :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
No MAF on the 2.0 16v, the sensor on the inlet is the Air Inlet Temperature sensor.

If you want me to have a look over & VAG-COM it I'm happy to help.. Just north of Pompey

Mark

elcristoff

Cupra Sport ****yeah!
Apr 8, 2009
Portsmouth
Idle Stabiliser Valve (ISV)
i think that's what it's called, you can take it off, clean it out, but only for idle really

i would check your thermostat, air massflow sensor (you already looking into it), manifold, gunked up throttle body

just a few :)

i've cleaned the throttle body and manifold out ( i could see my face in the TB it was that clean haha), i think my thermostat is up the creek as my fan doesn't turn on, so i'll look into that. cheers mate :)

elcristoff

Cupra Sport ****yeah!
Apr 8, 2009
Portsmouth
No MAF on the 2.0 16v, the sensor on the inlet is the Air Inlet Temperature sensor.

If you want me to have a look over & VAG-COM it I'm happy to help.. Just north of Pompey

Mark

Ah brilliant mate, thankyou. I'm in scotland at the moment but i'll PM you when i get back. Cheers again :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
if your fan doesn't turn on, it probably is the temperature sensor in the radiator (same side the pipe's go in off the top of my head) :)
or could be a relay too

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
if your fan doesn't turn on, it probably is the temperature sensor in the radiator (same side the pipe's go in off the top of my head) :)
or could be a relay too

Or it's not hot enough to need to turn on.

elcristoff

Cupra Sport ****yeah!
Apr 8, 2009
Portsmouth
The irony.... I'm in Glasgow Sunday nights to Thursday nights if that's any easier.

I'm only working up here so my car is still in portsmouth, otherwise that would have been ideal haha

Or it's not hot enough to need to turn on.

It overheats at idle, so i guess its getting hot enough.

or could be a relay too

Cheers pal, i'll look into it :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Sounds like your thermostat as you suggested... easy enough to check, bit of a sod to access IIRC

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.