Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

I want Digital DAB radio in my Mk 2 Leon FR

Discussion in 'Leon Mk2 (2006-2012)' started by K362, Apr 9, 2010.

1. K362

K362 Guest

Ok so I have the MK 2 leon with standard head unit that comes with the car and I have the IPOD adapter under my seat which can be controlled through the head unit or the steering wheel. Is there something that Seat sell that can give me Digital radio without losing or replacing my current setup? I have seen those highway DAB units that mount to the windscreen like a tom tom but I dont like those things. Any help please? Thanks

2. chrisboyle999

chrisboyle999 MFD3 for sale, inbox me.

no current oem seat option.

3. NinjaPirateUK

NinjaPirateUK Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI

DAB is a bit rubbish at the best of times, you're much better sticking with FM, it's more robust in terms of signal and offers better audio quality. DAB broadcast uses comparably low bit rates to FM, Classic FM (or it might be Radio 3?) is one of the exceptions I believe, if that's your thing it might be worthwhile, but if not I'd steer clear.

Just my opinion anyways... :)

4. DanGB

DanGB Who need's a Diesel....

I agree with the above :)

5. rbmike

rbmike Active Member

ive been thinking about DAB for a while somethin i dont get tho, when they switch of terestrial TV and we all have to b digital what will happen to FM radio stations

6. ZBOYD

ZBOYD Looking up at the stars!
    Site Owner

The current plan as far as I'm aware is for FM to be switched off around 2015. It may slip to later in the decade, but its not being seen as a popular plan so expect whichever government gets into power may revise its choice. Its also been widely seen as scaremongering tactics, to get people to invest in DAB.

But then the millions they make from selling off the airwaves makes a strong case the other way..from their point of view at least.

7. tundrarocks

tundrarocks Active Member

I had a pioneer DAB set up for years and drove from Landsend to Inverness with no problems at all. The only place it didnt work was in Matlock where they cant even get freeview!
    If you have a dedicated DAB aerial you should have no problems. As for FM sounding better, does it really matter when your driving 70 mph with wind and road noise?

8. DSG keith

DSG keith Guest

got dab in mine and it works fine all the time

9. tundrarocks

what set up do you have in your car? Im still looking for an OEM set up for my Leon. I did have a Vw DAB head unit but no one knew if it would work or if Id have the battery drain problem

10. DSG keith

DSG keith Guest

seat media system 2.2 came with car, did 200 miles today dab did'nt miss a beat

11. tundrarocks

AH thats the newer head unit wonder if that would work in an 56 plate? Cant stand normal radio after having DAB for years!

12. ackers1987

ackers1987 Active Member

2015 for fm to go but it will be put back if. Car firms don't step up dab I did the digital switch over

13. tundrarocks

Looks like I'll have to put up with the shocking selection on FM for many years to come.
    When you do alot of driving you realise how little choice there is. Plenty of easy listening and classic music if you're into that sort of thing!

14. tundrarocks

Im looking on Ebay for another RCD510 with DAB to try fitting it again. Kicking myself if I sold my last one and it was just a case of switching a couple of wires! Hope I dont have the canbus hassle as well!