Ibiza 1.4 Known Faults

JRLJamielin

Hi there,

I have just purchased a 2008 Ibiza Mk4 1.4 100 Sportrider, in grey for about 5 grand. I loved the look of the car and it seemed to run well, but I just want to know if there were any known faults with this car, or similar models that I should be aware of. I'm only 17 and I don't have a high paying job so I can't afford to get any massive repair bills.

Also if anyone owns a similar model I would be interested to hear your experiences with it, as all my friends don't seem very keen on it (they're all in fiestas and corsas). I wanted something different and I think it looks fantastic!

I would post a picture but it isn't letting me at the moment...

I'm so happy as it is my first car, but if there are any problems or faults then I would be interested so I get a heads up incase something crops up!

Cheers,
JRLJamielin :)

Stokie

Mk3 Leon Fr184
May 24, 2010
Stoke
The biggest fault on them is........BEING MADE! :lol:

Nah there not that bad, just like any other car really you look after it & it will look after you in return

Ive had my Ibiza for 22months & covered 30,000 miles, its now on 73,000 miles, only problems ive had is........Leaking radiator switch (replaced for new) New Droplinks (twice) just recently new D Link Anti Roll Bar Bushes ( this is down to the mileage i do so down to wear & tear, nothing to do with common problems), everything else has been down to wear & tear that just has to be replaced such as discs, pads, shoes, etc etc

But yeah my mates were the same when i got mine, lets say they dont laugh anymore as its been a 100% reliable car & got me everywhere & back, run in all sorts off weather, which is more than can be said about there SHEDS!

Check out this thread, its all the common problems the Mk4 Ibiza's suffer from (luckily mines suffered with none of them.....YET) - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108848

Last edited:

Krash

Duck just kicked in Yo!
Apr 5, 2011
Lincolnshire
iv had mine since November and its been great only faults iv had is airbag light (fixed under warranty) and the washer pipe for the rear popping off in the engine bay, apart from that its been spot on how much are you paying on insurance out of interest?

JRLJamielin

Cheers guys, insurance is £2500, but thats on a multicar policy, it's £400 more without that :)

RIP OFF!

But yeah sounds good, I won't be doing more than 6,000 miles a year and the cars only done 31,000 so it should be mainly wear and tear stuff, i hope!

powered_by_pies

Only known problem that's quite common (and happened in my 1.4 Formula Sport) is the garbage lambda sensors causing the emissions light to come on and off intermittently. I've never bothered changing it (I know I should really, just never got round to it) and never had a problem with it.

Only other problems I've had with my 'Biza is the drinks holder and cigarette lighter breaking on me - both my fault :whistle:

Formula sport's pretty much the same as the Sportrider I think, just differences in interior and styling. I love mine, nice and nippy whilst also being pretty economical and munches the motorway miles when I need it to. Never skipped a beat as well - I'll get 'round to treating it when it goes in for its' next service to a new cambelt, lambda, ciggy lighter and drinks holder!

p.s that insurance premium is a fecking joke! 2500 for a 1.4!? Who've you gone with? When I was 17 ('bout 6 years ago) I had a '97 1.6 GL golf and the insurance fully comp was around 800 quid!

Last edited by a moderator:

JRLJamielin

That is one of the cheapest insurance quotes for a 17 Year old around, All my mates who passed recently are getting quotes for 1.0 corsas and 1.25 fiestas of about £4000!!!

I'm with Admiral, on a multicar policy :) I get the car tomorrow!!! :D

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
powered_by_pies your comment about crap lambda probes, I think that for some cars, there could be a S/W update required to cure this - but I don't know exactly how you find out about that as dealers tend not to claim to know much about that. Ignoring emissions warnings could mess up your cat though if its the "first" , ie S1 that is having a problem and its not a S/W issue. I played safe and bought another VAG supplied one, though an identical one from another source and made by NTK (NGK) should be just as good.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise