Ibiza 1.4 Tsi Cupra Fault Codes

tomblake1992

Mar 10, 2014
Birmingham
Hi, I have a Ibiza Mk5 Cupra 1.4 TSi and have a few problems of which I cannot seem to find a real solution to anywhere on the internet. I have a 2010 (60 plate) Cupra with Stage 2 APR remap, Milltek turbo back decat exhaust and itg induction, uprated spark plugs (ones recommended by REVO and on here "BKR7 or something). Its currently on 56k miles and going to go for new cambelt, waterpump, engine and gearbox oil, filters etc at the end of Feb.

Problem 1:
There is a juddering / hesitation at around 6800-7200ish RPM when at full throttle mainly in 4th gear (but a little in 3rd too if going up hill). This used to start around 5500-6000 rpm but new shorter spark plugs and coil packs solved that bit, but its still there and causes the engine light to flash about 5 times and then goes into limp mode. However, if I turn the car off and back on its perfectly fine as if nothing happened. There is a bit on the internet about this with misfires etc so just change gear manually at about 6500rpm max and its fine, but would love to know how to solve it.

I have put the newest revised valve (believe it to be the N75) that goes to the left of the turbo just above the air intake on the turbo. I have also bought a new N249 valve (hasn't arrived yet) as I got the following code:

2998 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
P2261 00 [109] - Mechanical Malfunction
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 61
Mileage: 80227 km
Date: 2050.14.02
Time: 00:35:39

All the misfire codes are below: :whistle:

4054 - Cylinder 1
P0301 00 [096] - Misfire Detected
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 80445 km
Date: 2050.14.03
Time: 10:19:33

4060 - Cylinder 3
P0303 00 [096] - Misfire Detected
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 2

4057 - Cylinder 2
P0302 00 [096] - Misfire Detected
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 80489 km
Time: 10:46:56

4051 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 00 [096] - -
Freeze Frame:

Problem 2:
Sometimes (can happen 100 times in one day and not happen again for a week) when I lift off the throttle in 5th gear or above it judders when the pedal is at around 10% down. This can be quite violent sometimes, as if the brakes have been pressed sharply for a split second. As it doesn't happen all the time I'm ruling out the pedal itself as surely it would happen all the time in every gear if it was faulty.

Problem 3:
I have VCDS and have the following code keep coming up with the gearbox:

006015 - Hydraulic Pump Motor
P177F - 000 - Insufficient Voltage - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 4
Reset counter: 10
Mileage: 81493 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2050.14.11
Time: 21:08:48

This makes more or less no sense to me and I have searched and searched for answers and cannot find one on how to solve it. My guess if that there is either a loose connection somewhere or a faulty sensor.

Problem 4:
Amazingly this is probably the most annoying of them all. My boot light is flickering and comes on and goes off whenever it wants to (luckily not when the car is off so wont drain the battery etc). I've tried different bulbs and does the same, sometimes works fine and other times doesn't work for about a minute and then comes on for a few secs then back off. When I open the boot the boot open warning sign comes on the dash even if the boot light itself doesn't, so I think I can rule out the sensor/switch. Its just the boot light that does it, I understand they're on the same circuit as the interior lights which are perfectly fine.

Also according to VCDS but the hazard light switch is apparently shorted to ground. However it works 100% fine, but didn't know if the 2 were connected and maybe a short was causing it.

Sorry for the essay lol, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time for reading.

jonbagg

Jul 31, 2004
Market Harborough
Hi Tom
Can't help with your fault code queries.....but the good news is that you may not need to get the cam belt replaced as I think you should have a timing chain which does not get replaced ....I've got a 2010 cupra and that's what I've been told ?
Best of luck getting it sorted mate
Regards
Jon

tomblake1992

Mar 10, 2014
Birmingham
I think I read somewhere it was a chain too, but the service book says to change it at 60k and every 20k miles thereafter. Thought it was a bit strange being so early on compared to my last car (fiesta 1.6 tdci) but I'd rather get it done than risk breaking the engine. The people at the garage said it was due for a change too at 60k miles but I read somewhere else that due to the "longlife servicing" or something then it never needs doing. The water pump needs changing too as its squeaky so may as well get it all sorted and won't have to worry about it

cupra2424

Jan 8, 2015
i would like an answer to the first problem..i have it to !
mine is 2012 cupra boc with stage 1 and it allsow has that misfire in 6800-7200 rpm when the engine light flashes 5 times and then gone ! if someone is known to the problem help us.. (plugs are bkr7 to)

tomblake1992

Mar 10, 2014
Birmingham
i would like an answer to the first problem..i have it to !
mine is 2012 cupra boc with stage 1 and it allsow has that misfire in 6800-7200 rpm when the engine light flashes 5 times and then gone ! if someone is known to the problem help us.. (plugs are bkr7 to)

It is very odd, there's quite a bit on the internet about it but new coilpacks and the BKR7 spark plugs are really the main solutions. I've tried 3 different sets of spark plugs within the 6, 7, and 8 heat ranges and the BKR7's seem to be the best as the others started the misfire at around 6000rpm. The coil packs are Bosch ones and are equivalent to the ones found in the Audi A1 which are meant to be a tiny bit better. Hopefully this new N249 valve/thing will show up soon so I can fit it and I'll let you know.

Also, mine is only run on Shell V-Power Nitro + fuel rather than standard petrol, might try something different like Tesco momentum or BP Ultimate to see if its fuel quality related.

cupra2424

Jan 8, 2015
It is very odd, there's quite a bit on the internet about it but new coilpacks and the BKR7 spark plugs are really the main solutions. I've tried 3 different sets of spark plugs within the 6, 7, and 8 heat ranges and the BKR7's seem to be the best as the others started the misfire at around 6000rpm. The coil packs are Bosch ones and are equivalent to the ones found in the Audi A1 which are meant to be a tiny bit better. Hopefully this new N249 valve/thing will show up soon so I can fit it and I'll let you know.

Also, mine is only run on Shell V-Power Nitro + fuel rather than standard petrol, might try something different like Tesco momentum or BP Ultimate to see if its fuel quality related.

keep update us mate..i dont know what about this guy but i have that problem for 2 mounths without any way to fix it

tomblake1992

Mar 10, 2014
Birmingham
keep update us mate..i dont know what about this guy but i have that problem for 2 mounths without any way to fix it

Fitted the new N249 valve a few days ago and haven't had many opportunities to test it fully, but at top rpm in 3rd and 4th there is hardly any misfires now and it is much better. I bought a Pierburg one as they make the ones for VW/Audi. Its the valve that sits just above the 1st and 2nd spark plugs and has 3 pipes going to/from it. I also replaced the N75 valve about a month ago (I think that's what its called) which is the one attached just above the turbo air intake to the left and apparently they sort of work together so one may affect the other.

Boost Pressure Control Valve Vw/Seat/Audi Pierburg 7.02588.04.0 on eBay (cant post link as I have less than 15 posts)

I don't know if it will make any difference to yours as I know theres lots of different problems with these cars, but for around £36 its worth a try. The day before I swapped the valve I got it to around 7000rpm in 4th gear and the misfires were quite bad and saw a couple of flames out the back, but seems perfectly smooth at full throttle at high revs now. Going to Santa Pod and Donington for a track day soon so will be a proper test (if the car doesn't combust itself by then lol).

Going to check the car using Vagcom tomorrow to make sure, but had a look yesterday and there were no misfires at all. Hope this helps

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members