Ibiza 16v cupra sport (not very fast)!!!

KIWI16V

Hi, I dont want to offend anyone on this forum but does anyone else agree with me regarding performance of the 16 valve engine. It has been superchiped, cammed and pulleyed and a straight through exhaust system with a sports cat. My last car was a slightly tuned up Fiat Punto GT and to be honest would wipe the floor with my Ibiza. Anyone got any ideas why it could be so slow in comparison. Cheers

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
the thing with fiats tho is that if you watch real closely you can see it all falling to pieces in front your own eyes! lol....

i wouldnt say the cupra's are mega fast but they are a quick little car..perhaps yours needs a good service and to lose the chip..probably a gimmic one off ebay

KIWI16V

Yeah Fiats are a bit unreliable and flimsy but god they shift. I actualy have receipts for the chip and pulleys and cam and fitting which all totals a little over £1,000. As for the exhaust system I also have a receipt totaling £580. I think someone who paid them prices have been had. Oh well lets just hope its going to be more relable than a Fiat lol.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
If the cam timing has been poorly set up then it'll be certainly slow, other than that its an engine that has to revved to get the most out of it.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i'd be asking what duration and lift the cams are,and as above has it been set up right or just a generic "chip"

M4TTYF

V.A.G. for life
May 28, 2008
hadfield glossop
i can vouch for the fiats being light as i was following a chav mobile punto today i noticed the bonnet wings and doors all fell off whilst i was chasing it in my mums micra lol and then he had to stop to go pick em all up lmfao

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
My mate had a punto gt. The lag on the turbo was terrible, and most were wrapped around a tree fairly quicky from understearing off a tight bend (similar problem to fiesta rs turbos from what i've been told).
Are light, flimsy and wouldn't want to put my faith in one of those saving me
As or the valver I'd have thought it would have been of similar speed or if anything slightly slower.
As said by others, if its had money spent on it has the engine been set up properly, with changed cams etc is the timing on, and is the ecu 'chip' set up to take into account these mods?

Hope you get it sorted, you should find you're valver great fun to drive

Ollie

Ny_cupra

i had a punto GT aswell, its only about 130bhp (then you have turbo lag) and its the quickest car-ive ever got rid of just due to the overheating. remember the main difference is the punto is a turbo! the ibiza is a n/a engine so it will be a bit slower. mines is quite nippy for a 2l 16v . in my opinion n/a engines do it better :p

valentin

i thought the 16v engine was pretty good, all the 8v are very very slow

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
with all those mods im guessing your looking at 180 / 190bhp if its been looked after properly...however its going to drive differently to the punto and the power band is in a completely different place and it'll need revving more!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
don't forget 16v's need to be revved to get the best and notoriously long geared so it may not 'feel' fast compared to the fiat but check ya speed mind ;)

punto's are pretty torquey down low and light whereas the ibiza is heavier but gains grunt higher up

saying that just blatting corner to corner in town centre is not exactly 16v hunting ground

punto flat out in 3rd is about 70/75? ibiza is getting on for 90 with more capacity to keep torque up higher up the revs/gears but a quick 0-60 i'd say it's pretty even to be honest

try somewhere to stretch its legs a bit ;)

DaveyQ

I own the 8v and the missus (Ny_cupra) has the 16v

To be honest the 16v is a little quicker but not by much. The 8v has the pace and can hold the gears a lot longer than say a punto or a saxo vtr. Hence a lot quicker top end than a punto gt

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Hurrrrm Interesting thread.

I have a 16v and my misses has my old 8v. I'd agree with what flapper said and that's i often pull out and oertake something then look down at my speedo and think Sh!!T i'd better slow down man !!

I had a think with a saxo Vtr last night oing down the A5, i had to keep slowing down or i would have gone straight through his boot, when it came to it i flew past him. They are Orrid little things ! as for the punto GT ive never driven one but can imagine it would take a lot to get more out of the turbo on the thing and in such a little car !....

glad to see you have come to your senses anyway KIWI16V and gone SEAT !;)

valentin

although i haven driven a any ibizas, on paper the 2.0l 8v does 0-60 in 9.4 secs. thats not great for a big engine. my 1.4 200 does it in 10.2. but on the punto and corsa arguements, the only reason they are fast is not great engines, just the fact their made of cardboard.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise