ibiza 2008?

Skisbp

Well we have 3 conflicting sources then!
You heard its gonna be on the Passat CC/Superb 2 chassis
Another guy says its gonna be based on the A4 chassis
I say its gonna be based on the A4 chassis, but the old A4 at that.
Cant remember where I got it from as it was such a long time ago.
However we can do some deductions
The next Toledo is going to be about the size of a A4, the Passat and superb however are larger vehicles, and are getting larger still in the next incarnation. Therefore I doubt it will be riding the same chassis as the Passat CC etc.
Now both I and a SEAT employee have heard it will be sitting on a Audi A4 chassis, and its the right size for it. Also at the time of it being developed SEAT was also positioned under and influenced by Audi, just like how Lamborghini still is. Therefore it would make sense that the next Toledo would have Audi DNA in it. It also ties in with the rumors I have heard of the next Ibiza (the sporty versions at least) having a very similar rear suspension setup to the upcoming Audi A1 which is built to rival the handling qualities of the mini.
However there is no chance in hell that SEAT would get to use Audi's latest A4 chassis wonder piece the MLP, and so fore we can deduct that most likely the next Toledo will be sitting on a modified A4 chassis, which really is not all to bad.
But then again what do I know, this could very well all be wrong, the new VW CEO martin winterkorn has changed a few things lately!

Not suggesting it wouldn't be great for it to be based on the Audi's' A4 platform B7,8,or9... Yet as the Current Passat & Superb came away from sharing this larger more expensive platform series it seems quite unlikely that VAG would authorize such a plan for Seat!!!

Poverty

But the current passat and and superb dont share the same chassis as the audi B6 or B7 (if that is infact what you are trying to say?) The current passat platform is actually bigger than that of the B7 audi.

I would think that SEAT using a modified version of the audi B7 chassis would infact be quite cheap as they would not have to retool factories, save development costs etc.

I will see if I can get some confirmation as to what is happening chassis wise to this upcoming SEAT.

bobmcgod

Jan 22, 2007
From what I've heard the new borelo (not toledo) will be based on the out going a4 chassis.

Not that any of it matters due to VW's MQB (don't quote me on that name) chassis being every car from fabia to a4/passatcc In vw's massive attempt to take on toyota and gm as worlds largest car builder.

Poverty

From what I've heard the new borelo (not toledo) will be based on the out going a4 chassis.

Not that any of it matters due to VW's MQB (don't quote me on that name) chassis being every car from fabia to a4/passatcc In vw's massive attempt to take on toyota and gm as worlds largest car builder.

lol yeah thats the one its the bolero not the toledo. I got confused :redface:

VW, skoda and seat will continue extensive platform sharing. Audi's MLP will be unique to them barring some 4x4's and crossover models which could see VW models with a MLP type chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmcgod

Jan 22, 2007
The new ibiza although possibly fugly should be a good car to drive. I'm mainly thinking about weight tho, the current ibiza is a right fat mofo at 1550kg! (ish) where as the new fabia, assuming the same basic chassis will be used on both cars, is only 1015kg (again ish).

Source being either companies websites and stated kerb weights.

Poverty

on the seat website they seem to have a typo regarding the ibiza's weight. Apparently its between 1015 ranging to 1200 nowhere seems to give an exact figure.

Skisbp

But the current Passat and and superb don't share the same chassis as the Audi B6 or B7 (if that is infect what you are trying to say?) The current Passat platform is actually bigger than that of the B7 Audi.
I would think that SEAT using a modified version of the Audi B7 chassis would infect be quite cheap as they would not have to retool factories, save development costs etc.
I will see if I can get some confirmation as to what is happening chassis wise to this upcoming SEAT.

Not to continue to off topic... The SuperbII will be based on the same PQ46(Passat B6) platform derived from the PQ35(GolfV) platform. The previous generations of each SuperbI/PassatB5-B5.5 were based on the Audi A4's B5 platform. That understood the reasoning behind moving the B6 Passat off the B6 Audi A4 platform was expense of said platform. Thus it would be highly unlikely that Seat would be the only non-luxury brand to receive this platform! It will more than likely receive a version of the PQ46 platform whether it be the longer wheelbase SuperbII or the shorter wheelbase PassatB6. Then we'll just have to see if it gets the Bolero or Toledo name tag...
As far as which is a bigger platform: PassatB4-103.3in, PassatB5-106.4in, PassatB6-106.7in(equivalent to 2710mm), A4/S4B5-102.6in/103.0in, A4/S4B6-104.3in/104.4in/104.6in, A4/A5B7-104.3in, A4B8-108.3in/110.5in SuperbI-110.4in SuperbII-2761mm(equivalent to 108.7in) {equivalency figures provided at a rate of 2.54cm to an in.}! So yes the PassatB6 does have a longer wheelbase than that of the A4B7 yet not of the A4B8...
Besides you yourself state that the Audi MLP(B8) platform series will remain exclusive to Audi while extensive platform sharing will continue amongst VW, Skoda, & Seat so I think we all know what to expect at the Geneva-Auto show.:funk:

Skisbp

anyone got any ideas when the Cupra will be released?? also has anyone heard any rumors as to what engines will be put in the new Ibizas?

The New Ibiza will likely debut at the 2008 Geneva Auto-Show followed by firmer specs late spring early summer. With the 1st 2009 production models available late summer early fall. FR & Cupra models shouldn't be expected till 2011 model line-up likely showing up at the Geneva show in 2010 possibly the 2009 Frankfurt show.
Engines can be expected to be similar to the FabiaII range... 1.2 70hp, 1.4 85hp, 1.6 105hp, 1.4TDI 70-80hp, 1.9TDI 105hp... In addition to this line up we're likely to see the 1.4TfSI 125hp, 1.4TSI 140-170hp, 1.8TfSI 160hp, 1.6CR 85-135hp!!!

Poverty

Not to continue to off topic... The SuperbII will be based on the same PQ46(Passat B6) platform derived from the PQ35(GolfV) platform. The previous generations of each SuperbI/PassatB5-B5.5 were based on the Audi A4's B5 platform. That understood the reasoning behind moving the B6 Passat off the B6 Audi A4 platform was expense of said platform. Thus it would be highly unlikely that Seat would be the only non-luxury brand to receive this platform! It will more than likely receive a version of the PQ46 platform whether it be the longer wheelbase SuperbII or the shorter wheelbase PassatB6. Then we'll just have to see if it gets the Bolero or Toledo name tag...
As far as which is a bigger platform: PassatB4-103.3in, PassatB5-106.4in, PassatB6-106.7in(equivalent to 2710mm), A4/S4B5-102.6in/103.0in, A4/S4B6-104.3in/104.4in/104.6in, A4/A5B7-104.3in, A4B8-108.3in/110.5in SuperbI-110.4in SuperbII-2761mm(equivalent to 108.7in) {equivalency figures provided at a rate of 2.54cm to an in.}! So yes the PassatB6 does have a longer wheelbase than that of the A4B7 yet not of the A4B8...
Besides you yourself state that the Audi MLP(B8) platform series will remain exclusive to Audi while extensive platform sharing will continue amongst VW, Skoda, & Seat so I think we all know what to expect at the Geneva-Auto show.:funk:

My sources said that the passat stopped using the same audi A4 chassis as it was hindering audi. Their reasoning was that an audi should drive differently to a VW, and better at that to justify the extra cost to the consumer!

Getting info on SEAT's and VW's not yet in production before car mags is very hard. Im not having much luck with any info "leaks". I can tell you how much power and what engine the next audi S4 and the TT-RS will have though lol.

Anyway geneva soon then we will find out more!

Pilzi

I dont have a clue about chassis or power to weight ratios...but i have found several pics of what the "new ibiza" may look like...
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure which one is the actual new ibiza....thats if any of them are!:shrug:
Either way...i think i'll stick to ma Mk2 :p

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
So Geneva is here... anyone know anymore? The above link seems to be the only Seat Ibiza replacement altho it does not mention it?

Either way, them pics look awesome. Now if thats the new Ibiza... oh yes Happy Days :D