ibiza 2012 brake lights stuck on

Jan 17, 2019
west midlands
hi all ive got a 2012 ibiza fr 1.2 noticed the other day brake lights stuck on so looked for the switch not on the brake pedal its under the master cylinder ordered new one facet from euro car parts put it on right pain and brake lights still on anyone got any ideas . to day took bulbs out of back lights looks like led lights bulbs not changeable. took fuse out brake lights went off as soon as fuse back in brake lights on again. took switch off again with the plug still connected brake lights go off put the switch back on all three lights on all the time anyone else had any problems like this thanks jo

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
First your car is not a MK4 it will be a 6J platform so MK5.

So if you are searching, you need to search for similar issues in the MK5 section, and probably copy this posting over into that area, and maybe even into an existing thread for this issue to keep all the facts together.

I've forgotten the whole stories from people that have had this issue, but I was under the impression that things tend to be a bit vague when you ask "so what was done to fix it?".

I hope that you find that I'm wrong there, maybe a long bolt cutting into the wiring harness below the area of the battery?

Jan 17, 2019
west midlands
First your car is not a MK4 it will be a 6J platform so MK5.

So if you are searching, you need to search for similar issues in the MK5 section, and probably copy this posting over into that area, and maybe even into an existing thread for this issue to keep all the facts together.

I've forgotten the whole stories from people that have had this issue, but I was under the impression that things tend to be a bit vague when you ask "so what was done to fix it?".

I hope that you find that I'm wrong there, maybe a long bolt cutting into the wiring harness below the area of the battery?
ok thanks

Jan 17, 2019
west midlands
thanks RUM4MO just seen them its got to be the switching mechanism in the master cylinder because when i took the switch off with it still plugged in the lights went off so surely it seems like whatever activates it in the master cylinder is stuck going to try the hammer routine in a bit

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think so, I think that most VW Group small car owners were pleased to see that VW Group had ditched the nasty fault prone pedal switch for this "better" solution - seems like that they just changed the position of the faulty switch, at least on Ibiza and Polo, changing the pedal switch for a "latest" redesigned version was quick and easy, this one seems like being slight more of a faff.
Just one thing, I've always considered that VW Group dealers would always be the best place to buy a replacement as if like the older pedal switch, the design was not bang on first time - so only the latest version would be available - aftermarket, and maybe even original suppliers of these switches to the factory, might still be churning out or dumping their stock of superseded versions, and in some cases, the suppliers might now have been dumped for poor performance. I think that I commented in one of the MK5 section threads over the fact that someone had mentioned that there was a 2 part replacement kit - and not just the hall sensor end itself, just my thoughts to avoid unnecessary annoyance further down the road.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.