Ibiza buying advise (Also oil type)

Mar 6, 2019
Hi, im going to be viewing a Mk4 1.4 Ibiza Sportrider (2008) in the next couple days. Can anyone advise me what to look out for. Also considering i buy it, i want to change the oil and filter straight away can anyone advise which oil type and oil filter i will need for this trim please? I would really appreciate any help given.

Thanks in advance!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi, I can't say why members with that type of Ibiza have not bothered to post in reply to your questions, not good!

All I can add is that most 1.4 16V VW Group engines all use the same oil filter, the genuine VW Group filter is black which indicates to me that it is a Mahle manufactured filter, though Mann is also a good brand, it is best to replace the drain plug at the same time as the sealing washer is part of it.

Oil, I used to use 5W-40 to VW spec 502 then for convenience changed to 5W-30 Mobil 1 ESP which meets the higher VW oil spec for long life or variable servicing - though I always changed the oil and filter at 12 months. Sometimes you find Quantum oil with a suitable spec being sold cheaply on ebay - Quantum is VW Group's name for aftermarket products.

Once you get the car, check up on opieoil website - who is a site sponsor here I think, for oil advice - for me, opieoil works okay as I have 2 cars so my annual order breaks through their "free delivery" price point.

Edit:- a couple of things to check for on the car is, worn/torn front wishbone rear mounting bushes and free movement on the steering due to failure of the steering rod's inner knuckle joint.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.