Ibiza Cupa TDI Buyers Guide?? Tips?

welsh_cupra

Hi, im driving a Civic Type R and thinking about doing a deal with a 04 Ibiza Cupra TDI 160 as i need somthing that is cheaper to run (tax, petrol, insurance)

pistonheads.co.uk/sales/856862.htm

What you think about the price etc?

Is there any known problems i should check when viewing? Any big services due around the mileage (68k)

It looks like the grill has been changed or has he just taken the badge off? Is it easy to source a new badge/grill as i want the car totally standard?

Thanks

welsh_cupra

Forgot to say, whats your opinion on this model? Does it feel quick to drive, i know its not going to be as quick as my Type R but still...

Thanks

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
That is an aftermarket badgless grill and im sure someone on here would gladly swap with you for a standard one.
not me though as i like the S on mine :)
Also they are a good car, and for the amount it will cost you to run i cant think of anything that will give you the same sort of performance etc.
If you got it remaped im sure it would be quicker than the type R in a straight line.
As for the price, have a look at a few others forsale and make your own mind up mate. Everyone will have an opinion but only you know what you want to spend or can afford. But that does look like a good price if the car is in good condition.
There isnt anything really to look out for other than the main things you would look for in any car.
Make sure it has had all its oil changes n servicing done as these engines are very good if looked after but can quickly go down hill if the servicing is not done on time.

Dan

Last edited:

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
I had a Civic type R for 3 years and moved on to a Scooby STI. I still have the Scooby but bought a new Ibiza Cupra TDI September 07 and I love it. It's a really chuckable quick little car that I got mapped to about 195bhp after clocking up 6k.

32k miles on and no problems. Averaging 46-48 mpg from every tank and that includes some spirited driving ;)

As for performance, i've had a number of encounters with some Type R's, both EP3 and new ones and running 195bhp allows me to slowly pull away from them with no problems. It annoys them when they see the smoke once I hit 4k :D

I know they ain't the quickest thing, but for performance v economy you can't complain. I also prefer the handling of my Cupra over the the Type R I had.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I have one. It kept with my mates Fn2 civic type R before it was mapped (made 170bhp on rollers pre map and 200 after) and it is now a fair bit faster. It can also easily stay with a standard ep3 civic.

I get around 52mpg on the way to work (40 miles 70% slow motorway 30% town). At the moment its usualy £38 to £40 to fill and I get 430 to 520ish miles depending on how I drive.

Its not the best handing car but this can be improved.

Check the disks and pads on the front and check the cam belt has been changed as these are expensive fix's.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.