Ibiza cupra to Leon diesel fr

kohmikey

Black Ibiza SC Cupra
Oct 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
Well i know that maybe i should have thought about this before but when i want something i kind of have blinkers on until i get it. This time round i am seeking advise... Ok i do 100miles of driving a day but i still want my power so i got myself a mk5 ibiza cupra in july this year which ticks both boxes however the best i am getting is 48mpg and that is really driving it like a granny. Also i just get 390 miles to a tank which is really annoying because it usually means filling up every 3 days.
I was contemplating trading it in for a mk2 Leon diesel fr in the hope that i could get 500miles plus to a tank and the same mpg if not better even when driving spiritedly. Has anyone had experience of driving both and what are your thoughts if so? Am i talking sense basically?

Last edited:

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
I have a Leon CR FR getting 48.8 MPG that is with mostly motorway driving I certainly don't drive like a granny and I get between 550-600 miles to a tank Probably due to the Leon having a bigger tank than the Ibiza

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Well i know that maybe i should have thought about this before but when i want something i kind of have blinkers on until i get it. This time round i am seeking advise... Ok i do 100miles of driving a day but i still want my power so i got myself a mk5 ibiza cupra in july this year which ticks both boxes however the best i am getting is 48mpg and that is really driving it like a granny. Also i just get 390 miles to a tank which is really annoying because it usually means filling up every 3 days.
I was contemplating trading it in for a mk2 Leon diesel fr in the hope that i could get 500miles plus to a tank and the same mpg if not better even when driving spiritedly. Has anyone had experience of driving both and what are your thoughts if so? Am i talking sense basically?

Is it a cupra tdi?? I'd happily swap you lol :p. Drove my mates cupra tdi the other day and preferred the sound and feel of it.

kohmikey

Black Ibiza SC Cupra
Oct 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
No sorry my profile pic is my old mark 4 i have a 60 reg mk5 cupra now. I went and test drove a leon tdi fr and was quite impressed but when going through the figures i realised how much money i would lose through chopping my ibiza in so soon into the finance agreement so have kinda abandoned the idea for the mo.

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
No sorry my profile pic is my old mark 4 i have a 60 reg mk5 cupra now. I went and test drove a leon tdi fr and was quite impressed but when going through the figures i realised how much money i would lose through chopping my ibiza in so soon into the finance agreement so have kinda abandoned the idea for the mo.

i see, well i think if you go to a seat dealer who you bought the car from, the can just upgrade you, and deduct the value of your car from the leon fr, so u just pay about 2 - 5k more to get leon, hope this helped :), i first tried the leon, cuz the ibiza was too small for me, and i loved the lean cr 170, thats what i ended up getting, even when i drive very fast i get over 550miles to a full tank thats driving like doing 320miles on motorway and the rest in town, so imagine if it was all motorway ill get over 700 :), thats just cruising at 60mph, btw i find it gives you better mpg using the cruise control, u get about 10mpg more than using your foot :), try it and let me know

kohmikey

Black Ibiza SC Cupra
Oct 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
thanks for your comments guys, I went back to the dealer I got my car from and was told I would lose £3.5k on them buying my car back and then I would still have to find that again as a deposit to keep my monthly payments similar to what I have now on the leon. As you can see it is not financially viable for me to change over quite yet so I might wait a bit.

I drove like a complete granny again this morning doing 60-70 on motorway and was getting average of 48.8mpg over 50miles so might try the cruise control thing.

I am just glad I am not using my old Mk4 Ibiza Cupra anymore as I was only getting 240 miles to tank lol!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
A skilled driver should be able to beat cruise control for economy. But it takes a hell of a lot of concentration!
As for swapping, if it's purely for cost saving then I wouldn't bother. I do roughly simliar (around 600 miles per week) and fill up about every 6 days - usually costs ~£70. When you get into the 30k p/a mileage though, it's not all about fuel - you have to factor in things like servicing costs (which are currently every 4-5 months for me), tyres (again, £150 or so per pair for the cheapest), wear and tear on other components that will need replacing etc.
Putting my details into here (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-1633412/Calculator-True-cost-running-car.html) - shows that is costs me almost £980 per month to run my car, and that is with relatively conservative values entered.

kohmikey

Black Ibiza SC Cupra
Oct 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
I used the cruise control on the way home and it did make a difference. thinking about it i cant be that far off of £800-£900 a month on running the car. It is shocking when you factor in everything how much you do actually spend. Luckily work pay a percentage of my fuel so its not all bad thank god!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I found doing 65 instead of 70 (as read on the speedo) gives me an extra few mpg on average. Depends on how far you want to go with it - 65 is fine for me, the difference between 65 and 70 is a few mins at the other end max. Any faster and you find yourself constantly slowing down - 65 is actually a nice speed to be sitting at constantly.
But as I said above, if you really think about then you can beat the CC, it's all about getting speed build up, then letting that speed carry you up the slopes etc. But CC is a nice and easy way to get good economy.

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
A skilled driver should be able to beat cruise control for economy. But it takes a hell of a lot of concentration!
As for swapping, if it's purely for cost saving then I wouldn't bother. I do roughly simliar (around 600 miles per week) and fill up about every 6 days - usually costs ~£70. When you get into the 30k p/a mileage though, it's not all about fuel - you have to factor in things like servicing costs (which are currently every 4-5 months for me), tyres (again, £150 or so per pair for the cheapest), wear and tear on other components that will need replacing etc.
Putting my details into here (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-1633412/Calculator-True-cost-running-car.html) - shows that is costs me almost £980 per month to run my car, and that is with relatively conservative values entered.

WTF thats soo not true, it says my car is costing me £1200 a month and £40 a day as if lol, it cost me about £79 to fill up every 7days cuz I do 600 or more a week and I use shell v power which costs me 1.48 p/L lol so it costs me about £400 in real time, but really that figure would have put me of buying my car lol

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
I used the cruise control on the way home and it did make a difference. thinking about it i cant be that far off of £800-£900 a month on running the car. It is shocking when you factor in everything how much you do actually spend. Luckily work pay a percentage of my fuel so its not all bad thank god!

That's gr8 news :), don't forget to turn it of when going down a hill and back on before you go up the hill again, oh ya I find it's best to find a truck that's doing about 60mph and stay behind it, what that does is reduces your air resistance and enables the car to use less energy to do the same work, try it you would see about 15mpg jump in your current mpg reading and about 5 - 7 mpg more for your average mpg, please keep me informed of your progress :), btw if you check out my video on YouTube About mpg that's how I got over 70mpg average reading :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Nzx7766wM

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
That's gr8 news :), don't forget to turn it of when going down a hill and back on before you go up the hill again, oh ya I find it's best to find a truck that's doing about 60mph and stay behind it, what that does is reduces your air resistance and enables the car to use less energy to do the same work, try it you would see about 15mpg jump in your current mpg reading and about 5 - 7 mpg more for your average mpg, please keep me informed of your progress :), btw if you check out my video on YouTube About mpg that's how I got over 70mpg average reading :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Nzx7766wM

And you could then spend you savings on re-spraying the front of your car. . .

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
WTF thats soo not true, it says my car is costing me £1200 a month and £40 a day as if lol, it cost me about £79 to fill up every 7days cuz I do 600 or more a week and I use shell v power which costs me 1.48 p/L lol so it costs me about £400 in real time, but really that figure would have put me of buying my car lol

It's taking into account the repayments of the car, insurance, services etc etc... I reckon it's around the mark for me:

£340 repayment
£120 insurance
£350 fuel (cheapskate shell standard fuel. ;) )
£40 ish services (service every 5 months say, roughly £200 per service, but depends on major/minor etc)
Then there is all the bits (tyres - at least a pair a year but maybe more, one-off things like cam-belt change every 2.5 yrs averaged out, wear and tear on other components (brakes etc), other emergency and general maintenance...

It soon adds up! :)

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
I think you are all fibbers :) I spend a lot and I mean a lot of time on the motorway and every time I see another FR or Cupra its hammering up the fast lane with its ass on fire [:@]:p:bleh:

and PS taking out fuel my car costs £200 per month in maintenance costs this is paid by my company to the company that manages the maintenance and I'm sure they aren't loosing money at that so £2400 per year fully inclusive of RFL

Last edited:

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I think you are all fibbers I spend a lot and I mean a lot of time on the motorway and every time I see another FR or Cupra its hammering up the fast lane with its ass on fire

Unfortunately my licence is too important to me lol! No licence = no job unless I move out of my house and buy one within walking/cycling distance to work. No public transport goes between the two which wouldn't take me several hours to get there! Not worth it to save 5 minutes :).