Ibiza FR 1.4 EcoTSI ordered

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Unfortunately for me, it was a 'culture shock' firm suspension wise, coming from a Leon with 55 profile tyres and non-FR spec comfort suspension. pot-holes and other roads inperfections did not have to be duly avoided :). Don't get me wrong, on twisty country roads with few road imperfections the Ibiza with FR suspension & 40 profile tyres would be a joy...

Weird isn't it - I came from a relatively soft Mercedes A200D and whilst the FR is definitely harder I don't find it too bad at all. In fact I gladly sacrifice a bit of comfort for the better handling.

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Where to start with this.....

Because the Cupra is not more economical or more reliable than the 1.4 and all the engines come from the same place. Not Audi but the VW group.

And the FR is cheaper to buy, to insure and to tax

Or,

if I wanted a hot hatch I would have preferred a Fiesta ST (even if the wife probably wouldn't) ... or is that too naughty.

bruno192cv

Apr 29, 2016
Here in portugal new cupra is less 5000€ than other hot hatch including ST. Engine 1.8t 192hp 320Nm of troque was developed by Audi engineers. Yes its a VAG engine. My wife and kid love the "punch" of it

Enviado do meu SM-G360F através de Tapatalk

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Unfortunately for me I need 5 doors so the Cupra is a non starter. That being said I can now lease the Cupra cheaper than my 1.4 FR - would have been very tempting if the Cupra was the lease price it is now, back in April.

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Unfortunately for me I need 5 doors so the Cupra is a non starter. That being said I can now lease the Cupra cheaper than my 1.4 FR - would have been very tempting if the Cupra was the lease price it is now, back in April.

It's the runout period for the Mk5 so there will be some good deals around - though even back in April you could get £5000 off an FR.

The problem with the Cupra (for me) is that it's rather in no man's land - not as dynamically able as the Fiesta ST nor as powerful and revvy as the Mountune Fiesta. So if you want a hard core hot hatch the Fiesta is a more natural choice. If you want a bit more comfort a 5 door Cupra (or even SportsTourer - now already discontinued) might well make sense. But there isn't one.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
It's the runout period for the Mk5 so there will be some good deals around - though even back in April you could get £5000 off an FR.

The problem with the Cupra (for me) is that it's rather in no man's land - not as dynamically able as the Fiesta ST nor as powerful and revvy as the Mountune Fiesta. So if you want a hard core hot hatch the Fiesta is a more natural choice. If you want a bit more comfort a 5 door Cupra (or even SportsTourer - now already discontinued) might well make sense. But there isn't one.

Never been a fan of Fords so I would never buy an ST. Most people would never reach the limits of these cars to find the difference between a Cupra and an ST in my opinion. Maybe the Mk6 will claim the crown.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Random Q (sorry going off on a tangent here), anyone notice that when you I dunno go behind another car, if AC controls are left Not on recirculation, you can smell the exhaust of the car in front? Or someone's cooking? My previous Leon must have had a filter and I never could smell anything...even when taking in outside air...

bruno192cv

Apr 29, 2016
So far i dont have that problem with my cupra 2016. I know that because i use to pass by a garbage site on highway very often...and start to close air in and there is no smell inside. And that is awesome ☺☺☺

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Never been a fan of Fords so I would never buy an ST. Most people would never reach the limits of these cars to find the difference between a Cupra and an ST in my opinion. Maybe the Mk6 will claim the crown.

You don't need to get to the limit to tell that the Fiesta is a more involving and fun handling car. The Ibiza certainly ISn'T bad and rides much better - but if handling is your priory there are more capable hatches out there. (Our previous Suzuki Swift Sport was also noticeably better handling too)

Sorry for my mistake - I wasn't saying the Ibiza was bad -just that the Fiesta (even the base car) is (to me) noticeably better.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
So far i dont have that problem with my cupra 2016. I know that because i use to pass by a garbage site on highway very often...and start to close air in and there is no smell inside. And that is awesome ☺☺☺

Does your by any chance come with the climate control? Mine is bog standard manual one.

bruno192cv

Apr 29, 2016
Does your by any chance come with the climate control? Mine is bog standard manual one.
Dont know. The AC is automatic. But i have to press the button manually to close the air in.

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester
Seems like a good purchase for the 1.4 ACT TSi FR. It takes 16 weeks minimum to order an Ibiza from the factory new. As it comes from Barcelona.

I have the 1.2 TSI FR techmodel And use apple CarPlay here and there And the sat nav Most of the time.

The speakers are top notch, I asked my dealership about the seat sound system on a road test, and they said that the seat sound system isn't really much of an improvement over the existing speakers.

Though they had mine in the colour I wanted in stock new so didn't have to wait as long.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
instantaneous MPG @ 70 mph / 115 kmh?

Hi Guys, belated merry Christmas. Out of curiosity, do you guys notice what your instantaneous mpg readouts are for your 1.4ACT (and any 1.0 EcoTSI, or even 1.2TSI?) when you're crusing at highway speeds? I was a bit disappointed with mine today, maybe it's because it's still new with ~ 500 miles on clock, but cruising at 70mph, I get about 45 mpg / 6.3l/100 with cruise control on. My old 2.0TDI Leon @ same speed would do about 62mpg / 4.6l/100. So far for me, 1.0EcoTSI any more than 50mph seems to fall off the cliff mpg wise?
Just wondering what 1.4ACT or fellow 1.0TSI DSG are getting at these similar conditions?

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Hi Guys, belated merry Christmas. Out of curiosity, do you guys notice what your instantaneous mpg readouts are for your 1.4ACT (and any 1.0 EcoTSI, or even 1.2TSI?) when you're crusing at highway speeds? I was a bit disappointed with mine today, maybe it's because it's still new with ~ 500 miles on clock, but cruising at 70mph, I get about 45 mpg / 6.3l/100 with cruise control on. My old 2.0TDI Leon @ same speed would do about 62mpg / 4.6l/100. So far for me, 1.0EcoTSI any more than 50mph seems to fall off the cliff mpg wise?
Just wondering what 1.4ACT or fellow 1.0TSI DSG are getting at these similar conditions?

Not used the instantaneous readout on the 1.4Ecotsi but I would certainly expect a bit more from mine at that speed on a motorway run - say 45/47 at 75/80. Could be influenced by what tyre pressures you are using or whether the AC is on. I have climate on mine, but whether that is more or less efficient than the basic system I don't know.

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester

Hey hope you've had a good Christmas

On my 1.2TSi FR, my runs are mostly City based roads, with a few dual carriageway or motorway stretches. My mpg for those bits are 37-40mpg.

My best Mpg on a good motorway drive around 70/80mph is usually 42-48mpg , claimed 57mpg on the 1.2TSI. It is winter, so I'm running around with heating and air con on medium

I used to own a 1.2TDI Ecomotive Ibiza, and I'd get 61mpg on average motorway run 70/80mph for a car claimed to do 80mpg.

Highest my readings got to is 74mpg was doing 50mph on the motorway (roadworks speed for 8 miles)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.