Ibiza FR 1.4 EcoTSI ordered

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Not used the instantaneous readout on the 1.4Ecotsi but I would certainly expect a bit more from mine at that speed on a motorway run - say 45/47 at 75/80. Could be influenced by what tyre pressures you are using or whether the AC is on. I have climate on mine, but whether that is more or less efficient than the basic system I don't know.

I checked yday, front tyres were 38.5 and rears 35 :blink:. A bit high no? These were pressures that came with the car. I lowered them to 37 and 34. Fuel flap did say 38/35, and for 'comfort' a lower figure, I think it was 35/32, but can't remember. Will see if any difference. I wonder what speed the delivery guy did on the motorway when he delivered car, he did 57mpg since start :think: how? 55-60mph all the way?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Weird isn't it - I came from a relatively soft Mercedes A200D and whilst the FR is definitely harder I don't find it too bad at all. In fact I gladly sacrifice a bit of comfort for the better handling.

Checked my pressures for first time today, it was on 38.5 / 35 (cold, sitting in the dark for 3+ hrs) on 17s :shrug: I lowered it slightly now...

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hey hope you've had a good Christmas

On my 1.2TSi FR, my runs are mostly City based roads, with a few dual carriageway or motorway stretches. My mpg for those bits are 37-40mpg.

My best Mpg on a good motorway drive around 70/80mph is usually 42-48mpg , claimed 57mpg on the 1.2TSI. It is winter, so I'm running around with heating and air con on medium

I used to own a 1.2TDI Ecomotive Ibiza, and I'd get 61mpg on average motorway run 70/80mph for a car claimed to do 80mpg.

Highest my readings got to is 74mpg was doing 50mph on the motorway (roadworks speed for 8 miles)

Oh yea it was quite cold on Christmas when I was on the highway. I guess i have to realise that...a 1.0 was always gonna be a bit out of depth on the highway economy wise. I'm guessing you mean @ 70mph you get ~ 48ish mpg readings, and 80 ~ 42ish mpg? I wonder why Seat named it 'EcoTSi' it's not very Eco nor does it shut off cylinders unlike the 1.4.

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester
I checked yday, front tyres were 38.5 and rears 35 :blink:. A bit high no? These were pressures that came with the car. I lowered them to 37 and 34. Fuel flap did say 38/35, and for 'comfort' a lower figure, I think it was 35/32, but can't remember. Will see if any difference. I wonder what speed the delivery guy did on the motorway when he delivered car, he did 57mpg since start :think: how? 55-60mph all the way?

Probably he's has been driving like that or he reset the computer switch, so delivery MpG is never really shown.

Tyre pressures are slightly higher than normal on new tyres.

My garage used to do that, when I put new tyres on my old car. They'd set them with a bit more pressure than what the car manual reads.

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester
Oh yea it was quite cold on Christmas when I was on the highway. I guess i have to realise that...a 1.0 was always gonna be a bit out of depth on the highway economy wise. I'm guessing you mean @ 70mph you get ~ 48ish mpg readings, and 80 ~ 42ish mpg? I wonder why Seat named it 'EcoTSi' it's not very Eco nor does it shut off cylinders unlike the 1.4.

I suppose so, I gave speed variations because on a stretch, you never ever travel the same speed on different bits of motorway. Up to 70 with no traffic , then up to 75/80 to Overtake other cars.

The 1.0 eco TSI is an odd package, my gripe is that there is no manual gearbox offering for that engine. Probably explains why the older 1.2TSI is still on sale in Manual form.

I suppose the 1.0 is Eco because it has The start/stop technology. What suprises me is how quick this car is with a DSG gearbox. I actually want to try and test this car out, it stats looks more quicker and reliable than the 1.2TSi 110bhp engine.

Last edited:

Tylerjet

Jul 1, 2013
Groningen, North Holland
Out of curiosity what have you all driven top speed ? Upto now I've done 220 km/h (136 mph) I checked how many kilometres per litre it said 6km per litre lol

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I suppose so, I gave speed variations because on a stretch, you never ever travel the same speed on different bits of motorway. Up to 70 with no traffic , then up to 75/80 to Overtake other cars.

The 1.0 eco TSI is an odd package, my gripe is that there is no manual gearbox offering for that engine. Probably explains why the older 1.2TSI is still on sale in Manual form.

I suppose the 1.0 is Eco because it has The start/stop technology. What suprises me is how quick this car is with a DSG gearbox. I actually want to try and test this car out, it stats looks more quicker and reliable than the 1.2TSi 110bhp engine.

yup, I did do a 60-70% max acceleration start in S mode (still only have 550 miles on clock, so not willing and resisting very hard to put peddle to medal) from the lights to a 50mph A2 road, engine rev to about 4k before upshift, it's really not bad for a 999 cc. Still not liking the mpg though, 14 mile (one way) journey mainly on 30 - 70 mph relatively free flowing roads, what I would call 30%urban/70% extra urban. Trip there, ~ 50 mpg, return 46mpg (ok...my foot was a bit itchy)...It was 3-6 degrees with 3 ppl in car inc me though.

How does it do 72.4mpg on extra urban cycle on the specifications considering it needs to accelerate till 120kmh? though saying that...on a tredmill I can do 4-5 miles jogging decent pace without stopping and sufferring much, but out and about, no can do....out of puff after 2 miles or so. Real world eh?

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.