Ibiza FR 2015 (6J) - Groaning noise when parked on incline / decline

LC7

Mar 22, 2020
Hi all,

Have tried to find answer but no luck yet.

I’m driving a 2015 1.2 TSI Ibiza FR Black Edition - 32k miles. Whenever parked on an incline or decline with the handbrake engaged there is a loud groaning noise from what seems to be the underside of the car whenever you get in / out - This also happens when parked on a flat level but not as severe.

Has anyone had experience with this before? Had the rear pads changed in December if that would make any difference.

Thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Handbrake pads moving slightly on rear discs, try pulling handbrake on harder to see if it stops this, other than that I don't know.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I think RUM's suggestion is very likely correct. My 2016 Ibiza estate tends to do it - much to the amusement of my granddaughter who giggles away in her child seat whenever it does it. How many miles since the pad change you talk of? Rear brakes don't do much work so those new pads may not even be properly bedded in yet which might be exacerbating the problem?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
with handbrake my Ibiza did that, also my Volvo V40 does it as well, when I first heard it, thought something was gonna snap like on old wooden furniture...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My wife hates that noise, so I just have to have the handbrake on just enough to cause that noise, then move about in the driver's seat to maximise the effect - just something I need to do sometimes.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My wife hates that noise, so I just have to have the handbrake on just enough to cause that noise, then move about in the driver's seat to maximise the effect - just something I need to do sometimes.

I must admit, I do that, whilst having a large grin on my face...but the noise is most prominent from the rear seats for me :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.