Ibiza Kit-Car - Rio de Janeiro/Brazil (updated with engine pics)

Tarconal

Hello guys, I´ll introduce my new toy!!

Since it is FIA homologated and also street legal, I´ll use it in both Trackdays and Official Endurance events. And, of course, I´ll also enjoy it on some nice and fast travelling through twisty roads!

It´s a 2000 Seat Ibiza Kit Car, brought to Brazil by Seat, raced on the factory team and sold to private racers in 2003... I still couldn´t find out if my car is an A7 that was de-tuned or if it was born as an N2... Hard to find these info! Maybe someone here will be able to help me in this issue!

This Ibiza raced privately in N2 rally in 2004/2005 achieving nice results. Then a friend of mine bought it... I even found an old thread that he opened about this very same car here in the forum! But unfortunately he had a small accident and left the car abandoned on a garage for more than two years... He never really felt in love with the car anyway, but now it finally found a new owner (me!) that will give it the care it needs!

First of all the powerless 1.6 8v SR engine (120bhp!!) was rapidly removed and I´m installing a 2.0 8v (brazilian AP Series, similar to the engines of the oooold Golf GTi) with forged internals, extensively modded heads and a nice turbocharger, with power outputs aimed at anything between 250 and 350whp... The engine itself will be capable to cope with (much more than) that, but the final figures will depend on the rest of the car... It will have as much power as it can handle!

The idea was to use the VAG 1.8T engine, but this 2.0 AP came up in a very intere$ting condition and that is why it was chosen. It will burn 100% bioethanol like all the tuned cars in Brazil for the past 30 years! It´s a fantastic fuel readily available anywhere around here that makes the car not only more powerful (even 20% sometimes) but also safer due to several properties of this fuel.

The car has Proflex Evolution II coil-overs all around, an LSD and some Sparco stuff. I´m just concerned about the gearbox... It´s a 5-speed similar to the one used on the MK3 Golfs and it is famous for beeing fragile and the word on the street is that it simply can´t upshift when the engine is revving more than 7.000rpm. At the moment that is the bit doubt on the car.

I guess that´s kind'a it.

Seat isn't a popular brand in Brazil, you see some on the street but until now I´ve only heard about two modded Ibizas in Brazil. This will make this project even funnier because the EVO and WRX guys won´t quite believe in what will be kicking their asses on the Trackdays hahaha... The car's name, from now on, is COJONES!!!

I´m here to learn what you guys do with these cars in Europe and I believe that here in these Seat-lovers forum I´ll be able to gather a lot of useful information regarding these cars... I´ve been reading some VERY interesting threads in here, I guess this is really the best Seat forum in the world!

Some pics of the car:

foto02jd9.jpg

foto03ct3.jpg

foto04zh8.jpg

foto05rik6.jpg

foto10rcv6.jpg

foto09ren3.jpg

foto08rvv5.jpg

foto07rbm2.jpg

foto06rqa9.jpg

seat_baixo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarconal

Yes! Cojones means testicles in Spanish!! hehehehe

In Portuguese it would be "Colhões", so the guys here not always understand the name in the first time... But they will when they see the red beast briefely in their review mirrors and then overtaking them withou much effort hahaha

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Hey,... Ive lived in Brazil ( Rio ) for 4 years...

I go there pretty often.

I know Seats are not popular there... some Argentine imports and all the rest.

Guess they are not hot , because VW doesn´t want it that way!

In Brazil you are probably better off with the 2.0 AP engine as you will find thousands of parts readily available and also at realistic prices.

Well done... at least you have something diferent to others... and already RACE SPEC´d.

Keep it up.. and get that machine ready.

I used to love thrashing cars on the RIO-NITEROI Bridge as I used to live on the other side...

Parabens ;)

Last edited:

Tarconal

Hey MDS!

You said it all, VW doesn´t need SEAT anymore in Brazil...

These MK3 Ibizas were promoted by the Rally-Cars (even though Rally is not a popular sport here, unfortunately) like mine that won a lot of titles in the early 2000's. But believe it or not, most of the Ibizas sold had ONE LITER engines... 1.0 16v petrol engines with barely 70bhp and something like 95Nm! Blaaaarrghh!!!

As soon as they launched the Brazilian-made Polo the Seats disappeared!! Some rumors came up lately regarding the new Ibiza being sold here again but I really don´t know if that will happen because they´ve just launched the new GOL that now uses the PQ24 platform... Same as Polo, same as Fox, same as Ibiza!

And you were right again about having something different... My daily-driver is a Ford Ka 1.6 completely stock on the outside but under the bonnet there is a turbocharger blowing 7psi hehehe... The car has 180bhp and 235Nm, pretty cool figures for such a small, stable and funny car that weghts just 950kg! And it still parks anywhere, has low insurance costs, doesn´t turn heads on the street, cops never look at it... Fantastic! hehehe

Rio-Niteroi Bridge is nice, 13km full speed! But have you ever travelled through the BR-040, the Rio-Juiz de Fora highway? Until Petropolis it sucks a bit ´cause it´s made of concrete but from that on it´s something like 250km through the mountains with a great asphalt that´s made with some rubber on the compound, 2 wide lanes plus 2 hard-shoulders almost as wide as the road, a mix of medium and high speed corners... Fantastic!!

When did you live in here? Have you ever been to a brazilian Trackday?

Let me know when you´ll be back to town!!

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Yes, I used to go to JACARPÁGUÁ ocasionaly ... plenty Turbo´d machines...

Add me to your MSN so we can keep all the OFF-TOPIC to date.

I lived there from 95 - 99 ;)

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I used to live in sao paulo for about 6 years. Actually twice. Once from 90-93 and then from
96-99. Love brazil!
Have been back a few times since then.

by the way real nice ibiza you got there! whats the bhp?

Tarconal

UPDATE!!!

Some new pics recently taken...

The artist in charge of the engine and most of the rebuilt:
motor01hd9.jpg

Be Afraid! Pretty small turbo isn´t it? hahaha
motor02ec1.jpg

Since this engine isn´t original in the car, a lot of new parts need to be custom-made for it. Here´s a tensioner that needed to be included so the belt could spin the pulley of the Hydraulic Steering pump.

motor03ni2.jpg

Another view for this support:

motor04hb2.jpg

Fuel Injectors: Stock ones for this engine (in the 1.6l petrol version) versus the ones I will use: Siemens 60lbs/h. I will use eight of these Siemens injectors!
bicosfrenteju8.jpg

Rear Proflex shock with external nitrogen:
carro01gg1.jpg

Eibach rear springs:
carro02lo6.jpg

This is how it looks now:
carro05mi9.jpg

Boot lid´s locks:

carro03gb6.jpg

Small detail:
carro04pg0.jpg

neon1

Turbo inspired
Aug 25, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
That is a real sport car! If you will use a 020 type of gear box you will have a big problem! They don't live more than a 5000 km. on my car! I drive a Golf II GTI 16v turbo on 0,5/1bar boost. I fit on my 020/ 2Y typ gear box ceramic clutch with dempfer springs ( i don't know is this a exact name of springs - sorry), and a TORSEN self locking differential.
You don't write nothing about the brakes!

Tarconal

That is a real sport car! If you will use a 020 type of gear box you will have a big problem! They don't live more than a 5000 km. on my car! I drive a Golf II GTI 16v turbo on 0,5/1bar boost. I fit on my 020/ 2Y typ gear box ceramic clutch with dempfer springs ( i don't know is this a exact name of springs - sorry), and a TORSEN self locking differential.
You don't write nothing about the brakes!

What is the 020 gear box??

This is a matter that concerns me. I believe this car has the gear box of a Golf III 2.0 8v... The clutch is activated through a pin from inside the gear box. Some say it can handle up to 40kgs of torque, but simply can´t upshift if engine speed is higher than 7000rpm!! I don´t know what´s gonna happen, I´ll try to use this gearbox until (if) it breaks down.

The brakes I haven´t yet decided. I have a Subaru WRX 4-piston calipers but I´m thinking about buying Wilwood forged calipers. Discs won´t be bigger than 280mm because I want to keep with the 15 inch alloys because I can find 15´´ slicks in reasonable prices around here.

MDS, that´s exactly Mr. Cunha!
Do you know him??? Small world hum! :lol:

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Sr. Cunha.

Galo Branco - São Goncalo

Yes, small world... I used to know him and we used to sell him some parts.

My dad had a spares business many years ago there in Rio.

Pretty good hands with AP engines... made some wild Passats in those days.

;)

Last edited:

Tarconal

Unbelievable!! :lol::lol::lol:

What´s your dad´s name and what was the store´s name? I´ll talk about this with Mr. Cunha, I bet he´ll love to hear this!! :lol:

The old man is an artist... His garage is 50 miles away from my house, but I don´t mind the travel because he´s "the man" with these engines!

neon1

Turbo inspired
Aug 25, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
020 is code for type of gearbox for VW! I think the Seat's are the same (VAG Group). They use the exactly same way of clutching as you explain. Otherwords- the clutch are positioned "Backward" unlike other cars! Here are some spec's of VW GTI 16V gearbox:

2Y-020 type
5-gears
Year of production 02/86 - 10/91
1st-3,455
2-nd 2,118
3-rd 1,444
4-th 1,129
5-th 0,912
Dif. 3,667
I am with same box and i broke 2-nd gear yesterday AGAIN! Maybe for the third time! My car is a 205HP on wheels. Ask Google for info!;))

neon1

Turbo inspired
Aug 25, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
For the front brakes you can use directly 280mm Golf 2 -G60 disks + Audi S2 calipers. Just plug and play!;)

Last edited:

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Unbelievable!! :lol::lol::lol:

What´s your dad´s name and what was the store´s name? I´ll talk about this with Mr. Cunha, I bet he´ll love to hear this!! :lol:

The old man is an artist... His garage is 50 miles away from my house, but I don´t mind the travel because he´s "the man" with these engines!

You have my contact details in my profile.

:D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.