Ibiza Mk4 Custom Gas Bonnet Lifters/Struts - Finally Finished!

Aimez

Okay FINALLY ofter 5 months of Seat pratting about with my wings they are both on and I tired to fit these just now. I bought these from Damo but they appear to be the wrong bonnet struts they come with only German instructions lol and are called hood lift www.JOM.de and my Dad was helping me (a first!) and the struts are totally seized and look far too short and not the same as the ones in the pics of this guide?! (We tried looking for a grub screw to bleed them).?
So on the site page for variable force struts which ones do I need please anyone?

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I'd speak to Damo myself, see exactly what he bought. A lot of people have tried to buy non-variable struts to save money, and hence have found that they are far too strong (high pressure) and so don't close the bonnet. This is the exact reason I purchased variable struts as per the guide, they were rock solid at first, then after about 5-7 seconds of pressure-release (not exact-science, trial and error) the bonnet was then able to close. If I were to do it again, I'd leave a fraction more gas in so the bonnet holds open at the half-way mark, but otherwise, fine.

I bet the struts aren't seized - most of them are for boots/tailgates which are much heavier and at a different angle.

As per original posts really - all info for required struts etc is there. All lengths and measurements are also there.

Good luck :)

Aimez

Pmd him basically seem these struts are 37cm your are 40cm you said?
So looked wrong and not long enough. He has offered to make me some adapters but I think I will leave it for now maybe sell them on and buy the same ons as you.

I am very confused you state your struts are 40mm long when you click below they are 340mm which is what I already have but they seem too short for the job??

http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk/components/variable-force-gas-struts-sd01-range.php?products_id=1047

However then all these options at the bottom of the [age can someone tell me what the hell i choose?!

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Please see post #18 for the part numbers of struts I purchased.

Be aware that the lengths given on the website are for strut only, not including the ball-ends.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Also - pretty sure the diagrams on the website show the length of body, stroke, and overall length. All 3 of which do not include the ball-ends that you need to fit.

HTH

Aimez

I know which one you got now that is the link I just posted.
I am also aware it is not including the ball ends (being they are not pictured on the link on the website this is obvious!)
I am confused why you posted the struts are 400mm when they are only 340mm on the link I posted, even without the ball ends that is another 6cm where has that come from??
Can someone please tell me the total length of the struts without the ball ends basically?
The ones I have ARE 340mm like the ones in my link but seem to short you see when we held them up to the car.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
340mm for the strut. Ball ends 30mm each. My maths is a bit rusty for a bank holiday, but:

340 + 30 + 30 = 400.

:)

All other measurements for bonnet lifters from good man Spanny were end to end, ie including the ball-ends, hence why I used 400mm when referring to mine.

Aimez

Ah I see the main failure of these struts then I am right they definitely are too short in totally the strut IS 340mm the ball end must be smaller than yours they are only 20mm long each only 2mm out but you can tell when you hold them up.
I thought I was going a bit mental as the struts were the same length as your it's just the ball ends damn it!

Aimez

what? no you have to order the ball fittings, when you scroll down the page on struts direct there are about 5 bits to select what you want which is somewhere in this thread I am not sure which ones you order thou? it prob says on first few pages of this I need to look as think I can just order them and use these different struts I got.

ALEXZ360

Ive Had A Read Through And Cant Find Any Mention Of Buying The Ball Joints From Struts Direct, I Think You Buy Them Seperate? Am I Right Pabs?
Or Do We Order Them With The Rod End And Tube End Fitting As SBJ4? Which Are M6x1.0 At 30mm Long And Then M6x1.0 at 13mm Long? If That Makes Sense?

Last edited:

Aimez

I think he is getting fed up of saying read page one!

Component List
2 x custom made Aluminium brackets
2 x Variable force Hydralic/Gas structs (www.strutsdirect.co.uk) - approx £40
4 x strut ball-ends (M6 thread) - approx £5
4 x ball-head screw (M6 thread) - approx £5

1 x spray can of paint. (to match car colour) - approx £8 (mine was free)

ALEXZ360

I know that it says it on page one but what I don't understand is, do we buy these separately from the struts? If so were from or do we order them as part of the strut ie buying the fixings parts it offers on strutsdirect

And sorry if I am being a pain I am not doin it intentionally I just want to get my facts right before I order things I don't need or order the wrong things and end up doing something wrong

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Ball ends and ball heads required, as per post #1 ;)

To be honest, I can only tell you what I did. Other methods/parts may do the exact same job, you just need to do the calculations yourself.

Yes, I purchased the ends from struts-direct as well, but thought it was self-explanatory on their website, because it prompts you as to which ends you want. I can't remember now, as the original thread was quite some time ago, but I think I got the M6 thread ends, which were 30mm long on each end, giving a total of 400mm from end-to-end.

I'll update the first post a little as it seems not everyone can understand it (I didn't think it was particularly hard, but there ya go :p )

Remember folks, this was a first-ever attempt at this modification, so no guarantee's everyones car is the same. I think there are still only 3 or 4 mk4 Ibiza's in the world that have this ;)

Aimez

it only prompts first two boxes steel eye SE1 that right then yeh? Then what you say M6 thread there is no mention of this here or am I being dumb?!;

[1] Gas Strut Type: Gas Struts - SD01-150 Click to change
[2] Rod End Fitting: Steel Eye SE1
[3] Tube End Fitting: Steel Eye SE1
[4] Rod End Bracket: ???14 options here???
[5] Tube End Bracket: ??? 14 options here too??

No we are just thick!!
lol might help if in your first post you put a direct link the the actual struts you bought (just says strutsdirect link) rather than having to read through more the thread and figure it from part numbers.

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Please bear in mind that they have completely redesigned their website since I used it, so a direct link wouldn't work anymore anyway.

You do need a little mechanical knowledge to understand the info, please look at the exploded diagrams that struts-direct provide you with - hover over the fitting and it gives full dimensions and sizes as required. You'll see where the M6 thread is/are referred to on these diagrams.

Failing that, simply measure the holes in your car/bracket, and this will confirm what size threads you need ;)

I'm sorry I can't help more - I can't sit on the forums and constantly update things because people cannot be bothered to read through the thread themselves - all info is in the thread and posts and was correct at time of writing.

Aimez

I am sorry I am not as brainy as you so cannot figure it out I have read through this thread like a million times seriously!! I think I may just forget this I do not know which ones to select and will end up with the wrong things knowing my luck with my car I always seem to tend up with the wrong bits whenever I buy stuff, not been my fault so far thou.