Ibiza not starting, dash displays -->p/n

WillsyCupra

Hi all, hoped my first post would be better than a 'why won't my car start' type of topic.

I've had a very quick search on the forum but im starting work at 3 and need a quick answer if possible.

Anyway it's Mk5 Ibiza cupra, 60 plate on 15k miles. absolutely no issues up until today. Car Wont start, dash display shows -->p/n

Now I've checked the manual and know that this means check that car is in 'park' or 'neutral' before starting and ive tried it in both - it is the auto DSG box if that helps.

I've also done the basic checking of all fuses and disconnecting/reconnecting battery before attempting again - no luck.

Is this likely to be a knackered sensor? Is there an easy fix? And is this a common problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

WillsyCupra

Thanks for the welcome :)

Nothing seems loose in the engine bay. Turns over with no unusual noises but just won't fire up.

Always frustrating knowing I've driven it home last night with no issues, then randomly it's decides not to play ball

WillsyCupra

Battery's good, still glowing green on the marker, it's turning over at it's usual pace

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
have you tried putting your foot on the brake when starting?

EDIT: sorry just read everything, if its turning over it won't be anything to do with this

WillsyCupra

No worries, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Will have to use sisters micra for work today sadly.

Seat assistance coming out in the morning so I will update once the problems sorted with what the actual cause it. hopefully it may help with any future searches if it's not a common problem.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
I know if mine is in d it wont start. So wonder if it cant select the gears. Mecatronics issue with dsg perhaps? Not sure really just a stab in the dark really.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
If its showing p/n on dash its like it dosent think your in correct gear. Could it be a sensor in the gearbox not regestering the correct gear.strange. never heard of this before

WillsyCupra

Mornin all, been up early, AA van arrived at 7.30.

Early update: the p/n error seems to have randomly righted itself overnight however the car still wouldn't start.
Diagnostics says lack of fuel pressure, fuel pump is doing something as fuel is reaching the engine.

Tried a shot of easystart which fired it up straight away and it ran for about 5 minutes before dying off. Has restarted twice since but dies off straight away regardless of trying to hold the revs.

At this stage it's looking like another return to SEAT.

Edit: fuel pump has now been removed and it is fudged, makes a bit of noise and pumps a small amount of fuel but definitely is knackered. Only done 15k miles aswel :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

WillsyCupra

The Cupra has already returned from Seat, problem solved :)

It was the fuel pump, no other faults once that had been replaced.

The -->p/n message will apparently pop up first when/if they fail to start to prompt checking park or neutral start and rule out 'user error'

All round glad it's fixed, and in good time. Now to return the Fiesta courtesy car back to enterprise.

Jan 10, 2020
The Cupra has already returned from Seat, problem solved :)

It was the fuel pump, no other faults once that had been replaced.

The -->p/n message will apparently pop up first when/if they fail to start to prompt checking park or neutral start and rule out 'user error'

All round glad it's fixed, and in good time. Now to return the Fiesta courtesy car back to enterprise.

Can you tell me what SEAT said once you took it to them with the P/N issue? Got this problem on Seat Ibiza 1.4 TSI, diagnostics been done and no fault found.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.