ICE Help - External devices that MUTE radio

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey knowledgeable peeps:

With reference to Car headunits that have a MUTE cable.

Supposing I want to install a handsfree. I attach it to the MUTE cable and it will mute stereo when phone rings/during a call.

Now, If i want to install another device that uses the same MUTE facility, can you run 2 devices on the same cable?

Basically i want a decent handsfree kit (been looking at the parrot ck3000 evolution) but later on planning on a gps system (probably tomtom one). I want to link both up to the car speakers, but not sure if this causes problems.

Please advise. If its not possible I will just have handsfree through car speakers and leave gps on its own.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok just realised if i opt for the tt1 then it doesnt use a mute facility - it just has an audio out socket for headphones or to an aux in on hu - might use the aux input on mine - we shall see.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Yup they should all be open drain (or collector) outputs. If you wanted to be extra safe you could OR the signals together with a couple of diodes :)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I've been over this - having a mute for the TT. The issue is that the headphone out is always active (5v?), so there's no signal that mutes the radio and puts the TT voice output through the radio, then puts the radio back on afterwards.

There were/are a couple of boxes you could get, have a look on www.pocketgpsworld.com

TBH, I tend to have the voices turned off and follow the map, it gets anooying having the voice on all the time (she announces each turn at least twice). The only time i have the voices on is if I'm totaly unsure where I am in a built up area, or I'm "making proress" and on't want to miss a turn - both times I tend to have the radio off anyway...

Edit: This is with an iPAQ, not a Go...

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
yes feel was going to mention about that once i realised the tt1 has audio out - means it will always be on or off, but i suppose thats good enough - get an aux in cable for my hu and then leave voice on, so motorway driving etc i can just follow the map, and when into built up areas can switch music off and turn over to aux input for the tt1.

Sounds like the best bet for me.

Only 1 question about the mute that intrieges (spelling?) me is what if both units want to use the car speakers - ie being in a convo on handsfree and then tomtom or whatever giving directions - i assume both noises just come through the speakers at the same time?

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
It depends which way round you wire the looms. Essentially all the parrot kit does it have a pair of relays that switch from the HU output to the phone output. The fully installed tom tom kit does the same so which ever loom you put closest to the speakers will be the device that takes priority!

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
I have a CK3000 and a CK3100. The best bit about the CK3100 is that you can upgrade the firmware over bluetooth, the CK3000 you can't. I don't know which the evo does, but if you can't do it over bluetooth then get the CK3100. I having to pay 18pounds for a serial lead just for the CK3000.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
yeh but how do u upgrade the firmware over bluetooth? Surely u need to link it to a PC to do it?
Or can you upgrade the firmware on it from your phone?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.