Ice Link Plus - Active Cradle or Dock Cable

Tony D

Hi there,

Thinking of buying an Ice Link Plus to connect my iPod Video to my standard Aura CD/Tuner.

Not sure whether to go for the Active Cradle or the Dock Cable.

Looking at the positioning of the Active Cradle (to the left of the head unit), it looks like it would interfere with the opening of the Glove Box??

Both have their advantages:
The Active Cradle means you can see the iPod screen all the time and is in a nice position to use the controls.
The Dock Cable effectively means any iPod with a dock connector could be used so is more future proof + thieves won't see a cradle and think there is an iPod hidden away on-board somewhere!

Was just wondering if anyone else has installed the Ice Link Plus on a Leon and what they think is the best solution?

Cheers,

Tony.

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
what one did you go for? are they any good. what is the sound quolity and functionality like???

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
I've got one with the Active Cradle in my A3 1.8T (so exactly the same dash as the Leon). It doesn't interfere with the opening of the glovebox.

As for sound, it sounds just like CD's through the multi-changer so no complaints there.

To use, I just whip the iPod out of the craddle, select the album i want, pop it back in and select the mutichanger mode on the HU and away she plays. Traffic reports still cut in and it even changes the display of the iPod to an extra big font so i can easily read the track name etc.

It's actually a better inteface than the slow scrolling of my old Alpine HU and iPod converter. Admitedly the OE HU doesn't give as good a sound as a top-end Alpine one, but it's good enough for me.

Tony D

I went for the Dock Cable in the end as it has these advantages:

- No dock cradle visible to thieves (they might assume I have an iPod hidden away in the glove box)

- Can use any iPod which uses a docking cable (so my girlfriend can plug her Nano in if she wants!)

- Don't have to keep taking my iSkin case off to use the iPod in the car

The sound quality is brilliant. Just like a CD. I would recommend the kit to anyone. A bit pricey at £100 but worth it - I haven't used a CD in the car since I bought it.

I found the interface to be a bit slow and fiddly so I always use the iPod interface. Once that's set it remembers it every time you plug it in.

Easy to fit although I went to my local dealer to ask them to remove the stereo as I had no removal keys. I fed the dock cable down the back of the dashboard and out underneath the ashtray so I always sit my iPod in there where I can easily change tracks and see what is playing. The rubbery iSkin case stops it from sliding around and getting scratched too!

Overall well pleased with it! [B)]

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
my ipod is stashed in the glove box...

The cd player changes track, pauses, repeats, volume...

Dont need to use the ipod...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise