idle problems and power loss

cupra glasgow

Started the car today and idle was low and engine was shakeing badly when stationary, took it for a run but not much power and not much noise from the turbo.
its a leon cupra 04 standard, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Mines is doing this also, can any one shed a bit of light.

Car doesn't seem to be pulling as hard although i can still hear the turbo and DV which seem to sound as normal, car isn't idling properly usually in slight variation when stationary although has twice now sounded very rough on idle.

Car is now off the road and is booked in for thursday morning.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Started the car today and idle was low and engine was shakeing badly when stationary, took it for a run but not much power and not much noise from the turbo.
its a leon cupra 04 standard, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like a potential coilpack failure. £25 each, it is worth carrying a spare. Main dealers are a couple of quid more than GSF but normally carry them in stock. Check on vagcom to be sure.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Mines is doing this also, can any one shed a bit of light.

Car doesn't seem to be pulling as hard although i can still hear the turbo and DV which seem to sound as normal, car isn't idling properly usually in slight variation when stationary although has twice now sounded very rough on idle.

Car is now off the road and is booked in for thursday morning.

Try unplugging the MAF and see if it idles better? Could also be split vacuum pipes around the intake mani.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
most probably coil pack, but make sure you check things like plugs and injectors, the the enginer is feeling clunky when ticking over they could be going to.

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
I replaced the MAF last week as i thought this could be the problem but no difference. I also had a coil pack go before and the symptoms were a little more extreme than this.

Its getting a serviced on thursday also so the plugs will be changed.

I have a fault code reader and had a code but cant remember it of hand, i'll read it again when i get home and let you's know what code i am getting.

cupra glasgow

cheers for the advice

thanks m14cky started the car this morning and its running fine again bit strange took it to the garage but with no fault hard to fix, let me know what yours needs and what the vagcom code was if you still have it. good luck

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I traced a recent bad idle back to a split hose on one of the breather hoses, it's worth thoroughly checking them over just to rule them out, but again vag-com could probably tell u what the problem is.

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Fault code i got from my reader was:

17705/P1297/004759 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)

Got code verified from this site.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Fault_Codes&from=17086/P0702/001794

I recon it could be a split hose but i checked around from the top and couldn't find anything, I will have another check tonight and see.

As for the DV i have a Forge 007p and i serviced it lastnight and its made no difference.

I'll keep you posted

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Got the car seen to over the weekend.

The garage said my throttle body was filthy and a little worn. They have cleaned and reset it and the car is running good again.

The car however is still slightly out of sinc when idling stationery, the needle is slightly moving up and down.

The garage have insisted the car is fine though.

I also got a few advisories for my car, I need a new:

N/S Steering arm
Both Top Suspension Mounts (front)
Anti Roll Bar Saddle Bushes

Is there better parts i could go for when replacing these and where would i get them?

Thanks

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise