Ignition Barrel Trouble

gaffer1986

I know of a fellow driving instructor who has had two mk5 Ibiza's with a problematic ignition barrel. On several occasions the barrel would turn freely and has left her stranded. She has had two because the dealer replaced her car due to the fault but she got the same problem with the replacement car.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure if it is related to the stiff ignition barrels that used to be a problem as mentioned in the below post. Maybe the manufacturer tried to rectify the stiffness and caused another issue.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/stiff-ignition-barrel.327168/page-2

Anyone know who manufactures the ignition barrels? I would assume they're the same on all VAG products that are not keyless go.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If the ignition barrel is turning freely - ie not connecting with the switch behind, but at other times it is okay, then I'd think that there is either an issue with the barrel not fully engaged into its holder - or the switch indent is too shallow or broken.

I'd not expect that this is connected in any way with the thread you linked to, that is another issue which affects many car marques, I had that many many years ago with a VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4, and it was its worst in very hot weather - in France, which was worrying so I kept a damp towel covering the steering wheel area when parked in sunlight - and that kept us going.

You are correct, I'd expect that VW Group only use one company for their lock barrels, but this sounds like being a switch and or switch housing issue, I'd think that many people "force" the steering lock off when there is quite a load on it - and that will possible damage things - I've always instructed my wife to move the steering wheel to take the weight off the steering lock BEFORE AND WHILE turning the ignition switch, so never had any problems with VW Group cars from Audi, VW or SEAT.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.