Ignition coil problem

billgordon

Hi,
one of my ignition coils has failed on my Leon 1.6s, first registered 7th Jan '02, this is the second time it has happened.

My leon 1.6s started running rough suddenly as if on three cylinders and the excess pollution dashboard warning light came on. The tickover is now lower than normal.

I am thinking of finding out which one by removing the coils one at a time using a process of elimination, however I am unsure as to how the coils are removed.

Do they remove vertically ? I am scared to use too much force! can anyone help me out on the proper procedure. Also will the warning light on the dashboard go off by itself if I replace the coil or do I need to visit a dealer.
Can anyone tell me how to switch the warning light off if necessary once I have fixed the problem?

I have been told that the 1.8T engines are the only ones to be covered by the extended 5 year warranty on coils.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

claudefrog

Oct 23, 2005
At home
www.reallymeansounds.com
take it to your local seat dealer, the coil packs should have a 5 year warranty with them, as they are known to be faulty

if you get any hassle give customer services a call 0500222222 they were very helpful when i called and spoke to the guy there, gave me a reference number to give to the seat dealer if they needed to confirm the 5 year warranty status

billgordon

Thanks for your reply, I already phoned Customer Services and asked them about the warranty but they would not give me an answer and told me just to take the car to my dealer.
When my last coil failed the car was still under warranty but the dealer (Livingstones in Uddingston) refused to change all the coils even when it was a known problem.

Bill

Just4 Perry

It was a common problem on all the Audi, Passat the Skoda & TT all sharing the same engine. The coil is a common part across this engine in the entire VAG range at this date. Most cars were recalled to have them replaced and you should have te full set done, It was normally done under warranty as it was done at the cost of the coil manufacturer.

claudefrog

Oct 23, 2005
At home
www.reallymeansounds.com
the guy i spoke to on the phone was more than helpful to me, call back and see if you can speak to someone different, the guy i got gave me a reference number and if the dealer had any queries then told me to give him that ref when calling up

billgordon

Thank you for your replies,
Just4 Perry, are the ignition coils in the 1.6 engine the same as in the 1.8T engines?. If so then I cannot see any reason why the dealers cannot replace the faulty coils on ALL affected models !

Bill

billgordon

Hi Can an anyone tell me how to remove the coils, do they simplly pull off or do they screw off after the wiring lead is removed?

Bill