IHI VF34 Conversion Pics **Now with a TD05H-18G**

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Took my car down the strip at inters on Saturday and boost peaked at silly high levels. At one point it even got to 2bar so I backed off. Had a chat with Kevin from JBS who told me to check the rubber pipe between intercooler boost pipe and N75, and N75 to actuator for leaks.
The former had split, not allowing correct control of the actuator I guess. Now fixed and I'm boosting to 1.5bar again.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
How did you get on down the strip?
Did you feel the engine mounts helped alot with getting the power down?
Our mounts should be with us by the end of the week.
The guy who received these in Britian said all the mounts were slipped into bags that weren't closed so all the stuff fell out.
There were little labels with density levels on it but they matched up with what we ordered. Seemingly the street mounts feel quite soft compared to the track ones

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Took my car down the strip at inters on Saturday and boost peaked at silly high levels. At one point it even got to 2bar so I backed off. Had a chat with Kevin from JBS who told me to check the rubber pipe between intercooler boost pipe and N75, and N75 to actuator for leaks.
The former had split, not allowing correct control of the actuator I guess. Now fixed and I'm boosting to 1.5bar again.

another hardware problem fixed then.
certainly been testing your rods.. :p

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Keeps me busy :)

First time down the strip in the pouring rain. I didn't do too well. Need to work on those starts. TC helped alot. Managed a 14.8 1/4. Interested to see how it does in the dry.
Let me know on the results of those mounts when you get them.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Keeps me busy :)

First time down the strip in the pouring rain. I didn't do too well. Need to work on those starts. TC helped alot. Managed a 14.8 1/4. Interested to see how it does in the dry.
Let me know on the results of those mounts when you get them.
Will do

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I saw a VR6 supoercharged motor running a well setup racelogic.. and it launched very well, sub 5sec @ brunters..

my old mk4 had it and it was'nt setup well, and I could always beat the times when I switched it off.. hated the thing on that car. When configured well it did look to help launches.
(poor clutch)

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
I've had a play with the settings.........need to do some more work on that and practice.

Also, my car is still overboosting. For some reason the waste gate is not opening under regulation. I wonder if the actuator is at fault. There are definately no leaks in the vacuum pipes now.

Interestingly if I open the throttle to WOT quickly, but not forcefully, the boost will peak and hold at the correct level. If I slam the throttle down (especially after lifting off or after a gearchange) the turbo will always overboost.

I'm running a blue DV spring, which I will swap to yellow in a hope to limit boost somewhat. I'm going to run some more logs to ascertain whether its an electrical issue or other.

Getting a bit bored with it now. Off to Oman for three weeks so might just forget about it for now. Try again when I get back.

caveo

Im running a yellow spring as told by forge and jbs.
My over boosting was down to a split pipe under the inlet mani , jbs fixed it today and is now holding 1.4 bar nicely. ( even though i thought i had checked all the hoses there)

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Glad you got yours sorted caveo. Nice and cheap fix too.

I'll swap the DV spring in mine tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
I've cured my overboost problem. It was a bad N75 valve. Wasn't diverting enough pressure away from the wastegate actuator. I've swapped for a different one and boost is back to normal.

Talking to folk I was very lucky not to explode the engine. With that in mind (and a bigger turbo in the planning), I've decided to uprate the engine internals. I'll be sticking with the standard bore, but replacing the rods and valve gear. Should be able to rev 1000rpm higher in confidence with this lot. Also grabbed some larger injectors and a better fuel pump in light of a larger turbo if/when I get it.

Engine_Internals_001.jpg

caveo

Now your getting deep into it , I'd love to have the balls to get stuck in but i ****ed up an oil change ( threaded the sump plug ) so i just hand over a shed of cash to jbs .
P.S my diff and clutch is being fitted now and i have the jbs sparkly van.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
I'll post some pics for you, then you'll be ready to attack your own car. Look forward to hearing how the diff changes things.

caveo

I'll only have time to do a quick write up as i'm off to disney world on friday.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
A question. I'm trying to work out the best way to swap the valves. I've heard it can be tricky due to the deeply recessed design with these 20v heads. So far I can tell that there are adapters available used with a normal "C" type clamp.
http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=2527&&
Anyone know where I can get a 24mm version for the inlet valves?

What have others used?

take good note of this if DIYing install.

http://badger-5.com/bin/5v-installation-note-supertech.pdf

regards
bill

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
A question. I'm trying to work out the best way to swap the valves. I've heard it can be tricky due to the deeply recessed design with these 20v heads. So far I can tell that there are adapters available used with a normal "C" type clamp.
http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=2527&&
Anyone know where I can get a 24mm version for the inlet valves?

What have others used?

a tool i saw a guy made himself for his valves on vortex.
cleanhead15.jpg

thread here of his build> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3890760&page=6

regards
bill