Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

I'm done. Snapped cambelt. - The start of the build!

Discussion in 'Readers Rides (SEAT)' started by Gaz7, Mar 28, 2015.

1. L16YDW

L16YDW Big Beefy Boy

Last 1.8t I have in with a broken belt managed to snap the valve heads of the stem and drive them into the cylinder head! Proper funked!
    Bottom end should be fine unless you where hammering it, just source a good used 1.8t cylinder head, cheaper than paying over the odds for a full engine!

2. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

What do I do then ? The car cost me £3k to buy last year, I estimate I could break it for just shy of £2k or I fix it for anything over 2k, as the exhaust needed looking at anyway, and so does the gearbox, so they're fix's that would have to be done while I was in there. It's a real shame because it's a very good condition motor with a receipt for everything that's been done. Not a single major scratch or dint. I just feel like I should cut my losses.

3. mattyholmz89

mattyholmz89 Active Member

All your choice of you love the car keep it and fix it up if you aren't really bothered and are more bothered by the money then break it and sell it for parts... It comes down to your love of the car and how deep your pockets are

4. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

I love the car, best car I've ever owned, so impressed with the way I drive. But I can't help but feel I'd be daft to sink money into it.

5. Ronin225

Ronin225 Active Member

Id be looking to sell it as a complete engine
    Its an APY bottom end with integrated engineering rifle drilled rods, new piston rings, calico coated bearings, new oil pump, chain and pickup pipe
    Mated to a largeport AGU head

6. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

Will it work as a replacement for the AMK , does the AMK have Vvt ?

7. Ronin225

Ronin225 Active Member

It would but as you say this engine is not vvt so youd need to take it from your current engine onto this one

8. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

In regards to the Vvt or VCT, it must require opening up the head and fitting the hydraulic cam tensioner ? It sounds like a bit of work just to fit something only used for emissions, is it possible just to ditch the VVT ? Can you talk figures to me ronin ? Message me if you'd rather. Also I'm guessing I'd need a different inlet manifold to suit the big port head

#28 Gaz7, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  9. nigxl

nigxl Active Member

Think if it was me and it was sitting on my drive I'd pull the head off and have a look just what was damaged. Won't cost you anything apart from a bit of time.
    Then you can decide if you need to get a few valves and repair the head or take a chance and get a head from a breaker give it a good check over and fit it.

10. nigxl

nigxl Active Member

You've got the advantage over many on here that would get recovered to a garage, then you can't touch it yourself.

11. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

Been trying to quote up repairs a few different ways, a lot of garages don't seem to want to touch it ! Any body know of a good engine machine shop that I could go direct to, take the head off myself ?

12. nigxl

nigxl Active Member

Why don't garages want to touch it?
    They're getting paid to recover it and work on it.
    Try a different garage or do it yourself if cost is an issue.

13. L16YDW

L16YDW Big Beefy Boy

Can't understand why a garage would turn work away?? Where in the UK are you based??

14. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

I've spoken to 5 of the garages around here I trust ( Bristol ) they all ummed and ahhed about it and said they'd get back to me. It's not a monetary issue in terms of being able to afford it, it's more a case of : it's just a car , is it worthwhile cutting my losses and buying another one. and I'm more than capable of doing the work myself, if it weren't for the fact I work away 6 days a week! I've just had one quote come back of £850 basing it on worst case head damage ( all 20 valves ) and no bottom end damage.

15. Ronin225

Ronin225 Active Member

I havnt got round to PM'ing you yet but so you can roughly gauge the price, im looking for £850 for this forged one and i'll add the transition gasket too so you can run OE manifold

16. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

[​IMG]

The final resting place.

17. Ronin225

Ronin225 Active Member

Opted to break it then?

18. mattyholmz89

Sad to see so many being broken...

19. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

There's life in the old girl yet. I went out with tools to start stripping today, I can't do it, it's being fixed, booked in end of next month to have the head done, a new set of forged rods dropped in, new oil pump , new downpipe and decat, I'm gunna fit the welly cooler I have in the garage aswell, also, took manifold off today, started polishing it up, and sprayed the charge pipe in crackle black ! Can't see her die in pieces, one last shot. If it breaks down again, I won't strip it for parts, I'll set fire to it!

20. mattyholmz89

=D good man!!!