immobiliser and dash faults

1.9 TDI Sport

well bought my seat ibiza 1.9 TDI sport about 6months ago and starting to realise there may be a underlying issue with the car

i have several issues please bear with me while i describe them

1- fuel gadge stuck on empty
2- oil gadge dash illumination intermittantly dimming (the seperate gadge on the left not the oil light)
3- air bag light permanentley on
4- air con/heater controls under radio cassette dont recognise the temperature

finally sometimes the car is imobalised when i try to start it the key light flashes on the dash

i only have one key with the car so cannot try another, rac say i need to get a key coded but after reading posts on this forum it seems this imobiliser and dash issues are a common fault?

questions
are all my issues related? maybe a dash issue
do i need to get another key coded and where can i get one?
is that going to fix my imobiliser issues? (which are apparently increasing in frequency)

please be kind, dont flood me with complicated information and links to other threads which im not going to be able to understand, im new to this forum, dont know where to go to get these problems solved, cant really afford to be ripped off by seat dealers, trying to educate myself of what exactley is the problem and how to fix it and where i can go to get it sorted

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 3, 2009
your exact model was prone to a cluster failure so I would look at getting that replaced
It is the 6 pod cluster? with oil > revs > temp > fuel > speed > volts

also might be worth reading faults with vagcom see if there is anything serious with the airbag light or just the dash

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
This is a common fault on the Tdi sports with the 6 dial dash as mentioned above, though it can be DIY repaired, you shouldn't necessarily need to replace the dash. Search on immobiliser issues. I did a thread on this when I had mine

1.9 TDI Sport

your exact model was prone to a cluster failure so I would look at getting that replaced
It is the 6 pod cluster? with oil > revs > temp > fuel > speed > volts

also might be worth reading faults with vagcom see if there is anything serious with the airbag light or just the dash

yes its the 6 pod cluster, thanks

1.9 TDI Sport

This is a common fault on the Tdi sports with the 6 dial dash as mentioned above, though it can be DIY repaired, you shouldn't necessarily need to replace the dash. Search on immobiliser issues. I did a thread on this when I had mine

hello Bondiblu, so you have had this same fault and fixed it without replacing the dash/display?

will getting another key coded stop my immobiliser issue or is it a dash problemn

i have searched for immobiliser, there is pages and pages and some of the links are dead, if you know where the specific thread is that you did then a link to that would be good thanks

Dec 3, 2009
^ you have the TDi sport which is 100bhp as it is an '08 plate

in 2002-2003 they did a TDi sport with 130bhp and a 6 dial dash that wasn't so reliable!
that's the model we're talking about =]

tl22

Sep 21, 2010
Canterbury, Kent.
Get your soldering iron out...that's all i can say. I need to do mine but don't trust myself soldering in such a confined space.
Like bondiblu said, there is a thread on here, which is very helpful...just make sure you know what your doing and don't rush into it and be sure to disconnect the battery or your in trouble.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
hello Bondiblu, so you have had this same fault and fixed it without replacing the dash/display?

will getting another key coded stop my immobiliser issue or is it a dash problemn

i have searched for immobiliser, there is pages and pages and some of the links are dead, if you know where the specific thread is that you did then a link to that would be good thanks

Have a read through this thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199145

and once fixed your immobiliser issues should go away..

Last edited:

1.9 TDI Sport

Have a read through this thread and once fixed your immobiliser issues should go away..

friend here and he got the dials out now, says he can see at least 2 pins that need soldering

very strange, seems this dash/dials has been taken out before and someone has wedged and glues a pencil between the green socket on the back of the dials and the black back cover of the dials (will add pic later)

so maybe there has been a loose connection or someone has tried to fix this fault on this car before

im now wondering if my 62K milage is correct

we have not dissconncted the battery, i read on the other thread that the battery should be dissconnected to clear the air bag light? not sure on that as also read a vag machine cleared the fault...

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Disconnecting the battery doesn't clear an airbag fault, but does avoid it coming on whilst removing the instrument panel. Just make sure once you refit the panel that the 2 connectors are properly seated before turning the key on, especially the green connector else it will log several faults. I didn't disconnect my battery and didn't have a problem, though I do recommend disconnecting it.

1.9 TDI Sport

1- fuel gadge stuck on empty now working
2- oil gadge dash illumination intermittantly dimming (the seperate gadge on the left not the oil light) now working
3- air bag light permanentley on ?? needs fault clearing
4- air con/heater controls under radio cassette dont recognise the temperature now working

solder to all that could be seen

so now there is someone in the walsall wolves area who can help

[email protected] ask for stephen :)

er regarding the immobiliser time will tell, im hoping i will have no more issues

1.9 TDI Sport

Disconnecting the battery doesn't clear an airbag fault, but does avoid it coming on whilst removing the instrument panel. Just make sure once you refit the panel that the 2 connectors are properly seated before turning the key on, especially the green connector else it will log several faults. I didn't disconnect my battery and didn't have a problem, though I do recommend disconnecting it.

thank you very much for your help and the quick responses to my post, its such a relief to know how much fuel i have in the car let alone any of the other probs

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
1- fuel gadge stuck on empty now working
2- oil gadge dash illumination intermittantly dimming (the seperate gadge on the left not the oil light) now working
3- air bag light permanentley on ?? needs fault clearing
4- air con/heater controls under radio cassette dont recognise the temperature now working

solder to all that could be seen

so now there is someone in the walsall wolves area who can help

[email protected] ask for stephen :)

er regarding the immobiliser time will tell, im hoping i will have no more issues

Congrats, you have saved yourself a small fortune :clap:

and... No probs, thats what this forum is for, glad I could help!!

1.9 TDI Sport

lol well spoke too soon

my milage amount has dissappeared

the reset figure directly under where the milage should be can still be seen tho

any ideas? maybe done something during the process that has caused this? have we got to get the dials all out again?

thanks in advance

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
lol well spoke too soon

my milage amount has dissappeared

the reset figure directly under where the milage should be can still be seen tho

any ideas? maybe done something during the process that has caused this? have we got to get the dials all out again?

thanks in advance

Damn.... Thought we had another successful fix. How far down did you strip the instrument panel? Sounds like a bad connection to me. If you can, remove the little cubbyhole lid where the diagnostics port is and you should be able to get you hand up behind the panel. Make sure the green connector is fully seated

1.9 TDI Sport

only the same as this:

seatcupra.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=949&pictureid=2880

dam wont let me show it, its the picture contained in your other thread, put h t m l and w w w in front of the link

will have to get it all out again on another day when my friend is available i think *sigh*

but no immobiliser issues yet :clap:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
only the same as this:

seatcupra.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=949&pictureid=2880

dam wont let me show it, its the picture contained in your other thread, put h t m l and w w w in front of the link

will have to get it all out again on another day when my friend is available i think *sigh*

but no immobiliser issues yet :clap:

As above, reseat the connectors, failing that it may be a bad connection between the PCB and LCD itself, possibly disturbed while fiddling with the panel. Keep us posted.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise