immobiliser and dash faults

alexbailey12

May 12, 2011
here are more pictures of mine. does anyone know what the mark is going around my connector? and are the circles coming off the pins supposed to be full of solder not just little bits on some of mine? i got the out of an FR and only the fuel gauge is faulty. the ones i have in my car now sometimes only the speedo and rev counter work

P1010214.jpg

P1010216.jpg

P1010217.jpg

P1010218.jpg

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
The mark around the connector, hmm is hard to tell, possibly it's flux from previous solder work, don't think it'll be a water mark only in that region.

Those pins are dry jointed, and yes, solder should be evenly flowed between the pins and the board on ALL the pins. That is a good example of the common fault you are seeing.

Last edited:

alexbailey12

May 12, 2011
all sorted. had two clusters done, took them to a local tv repair guy. one just had the fuel gauge not working and the other only had the speedo and rev counter working, he could tell that one was alot worse than the other. also checked over the rest of the joints and done them too £5 forboth clusters done... bargain!!

as for the small copper circles... both of the clusters i got done had different ones soldered so i dont know what they are for

seatismyworld

hi everyone just done this job after haveing a problem with starting it. but now my rev conter is not right it sits well below zero so i took it back out and put it back to zero. but when i put the battery back on it goes back to the same

anyone know how to sort it out thanks

Aaron87

Nov 19, 2013
Usually caused when one of the joints you soldiered isn't good enough.. Pull it apart and do it again, reset to zero and all should be OK...

TDiPat

Dec 23, 2013
Ireland
If you try to see how far below zero it is, then hold the open end with your left hand while you pull the spindle end off with your right hand to make sure you're not moving it as it comes off. Then reset to zero. If you can, test it to make sure it's not too tight, I've put mine on too tight and it sticks slightly and as a result now sits 300 revs higher than it should.

iainr90

Aug 6, 2014
Cambridge
TRW 6 dial cluster problem
My Ibiza instrument cluster was sadly beyond repair, took it to a place in Waltham Abbey and was quoted £139+vat+postage to have cluster repaired but in the end wasn’t possible. It had thrown up faults including the Immobilizer blocking, but after much research and video viewing, I sourced a 2nd hand unit from an ebay company called Synetic for £24.
Purchased VAG COMMANDER 3.6 software and cable from nbdatas (ebay) £19.98 and I’ve already got VCDS.
As I couldn’t establish communications with my old instrument cluster, I used VAG COMMANDER to get the SKC (secret key code) from my ECU.
Then installed the donor cluster into the car and again with VAG COMMANDER, got the SKC from that.(then had a tea break)
Fired up VCDS and followed the Ross Tech video on cluster swapping and coding and had another tea break.
Once all was installed, another Ross Tech video guided me through the key coding process! Now the moment of truth, bingo!! Started up first time!!
The donor cluster still had the donor cars mileage, but, with VAG COMMANDER, I managed to input my original mileage and job done!
If anyone in the Cambridge area has a similar problem, I’m more than happy to help,

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Good job!

I bought VAG COMMANDER quite a few years ago but was lucky enough never to need to use it, now all my cars are too new to use it on.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members