*IMPORTANT* A decline in forum conduct that needs addressing!

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
i use both SEAT forums in a commercial status. i attend meets with boh forums, have met many good, interesting, intelligent, funny and friendly people on both.

I've also read and seen behaviour which I do not wish to be part of, on both.

Therefore, those are the posts where I choose not to use the reply key, and instead ignore them and leave the admin team to deal with it.

my best wish and support to both teams.

Iain

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Excellent post Mark, i think weve all over stepped the mark some time or another and hopefully we know when weve done it, so that definitly needed saying. Keep up the good work fellas, its much appreciated.

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
Well put, i was getting a bit fed up with the silly i beat x,y,z on my "private road" threads

I also get a bit fed up with people asking the same questions over and over again.

Good work admins

Paul

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I have possibly broken the odd rule here and there in the past and then thought to myself, 'what an idiot' gone back and edited it. I agree with what Z and the rest of the admins are saying. Particularly text speak gets on my nerves and one of the reasons i use this site is due to the quality of the content provided and i hope that anything i share is of use to other people also.

Keep up the good work, it will be a sad day when SCN goes from a genuinely informative public forum to a heavily moderated pile of dross.

Paul

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Redcupra20vt said:
Well put, i was getting a bit fed up with the silly i beat x,y,z on my "private road" threads

I also get a bit fed up with people asking the same questions over and over again.
Its going to be very quiet outside of the general talk areas if repeat questions are banned.

Cupra Kid said:
Particularly text speak gets on my nerves
It gets on my nerves too but there is nothing you can do about it, you are basically saying young people are not allowed to post on here now if this is the case, I get CVs and cover letters with text speak in them. Fact of life now I'm afraid. (Could I suggest that the mods add a spell check button to the post box that way the text speak will get sorted out)

Redcupra20vt said:
it will be a sad day when SCN goes from a genuinely informative public forum to a heavily moderated pile of dross.
Couldn't agree more, lets just see how it pans out.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
You'll always get people posting the same questions, new users, etc, people who don't know the meaning of search, however thats less of a bone of contention to us, not so fussed about that, most people still chuck them the correct info anyway.

Were also not too fussed about a small amount of banter in threads, its when they go right off the scale, and start on a subject about ECU's for example and then end up talking about the price of fish.

Lots of people use the forum, just for info, they may also never post, but the site relys just as much on them to visit it, as it does on the regulars.

I do actually class myself as young still, well just about :p there are also plenty of young people here who do have some noodle about them, we've not given up on young people just yet. Also the post box already has a spell check button. ;) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93317

But the site also isn't a spelling compo, so im not banning someone just because they spell, could as cud! :)

But the txt spk, certainly can be a perceived reflection of the intelligence level of a poster, its lazy and generally annoying for other posters to read.

Though id suggest if you don't like certain members posting styles, that they be added to your ignore lists.

Txt spk CV's really :D amazing, the country has gone to the dogs.

20vtB0b

Cupra R - No looking back
Mar 25, 2003
Woking
Visit site
ZBOYD said:
Txt spk CV's really :D amazing, the country has gone to the dogs.

It gives you a nice effective way to filter the CVs though ;)

Can I join the 'I hate text speak club', its not like forum postings have to be completed in as short a time as possible, and its not like people don't have a proper keyboard to use - so there aren't really any excuses for using it.

As Z said though, if anyones postings get on your nerves there is always the 'ignore' feature.

Bob

I agree, text speak on anything other than a mobile phone is ridiculous and lazy. I don't agree it should be tolerated just because the person writing it is young and used to using text speak. Tolerating the things kids do out of habit is the reason why we have so many unruly kids in society. I'm only 27, but even when I text someone on my mobile I use full sentences and punctuation :redface: .

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Well done guys, let's hope the dross disappears due to this action.

Having been a member for many years now, and this being by far my most visited forum, although there are still a great number of the 'old crew' visiting regularly, you can't help but notice over recent times how many of them have drifted off, and what has caused them to do so. This is a very helpful and friendly forum, from which I have got to know many people well outside of the interweb world; but there does seem to have been an increasing amount of self posturing and posting of totally unrelevant materiel that's not even of interest to others in any way of late.

Many thanks, and top work to the admin team: Mark, Mark, Scott, Jase, Andyb and others I'm sure..! (perhaps an up to date list of all the various mods could be posted!?)

Ian

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
driveforward said:
Many thanks, and top work to the admin team: Mark, Mark, Scott, Jase, Andyb and others I'm sure..! (perhaps an up to date list of all the various mods could be posted!?)
Scroll down the bottom of the screen and you'll find "View Forum Leaders" and there you go.

I have to agree with the original sentiments of the thread though and will put my hand up for being one of the many who've occasionally gone way off topic, but no doubt I'm not the first and unfortunately probably won't be the last.

We do all appreciate the work that's put into this site even though we might not show it at times, so please don't allow the few to spoil it for everyone else.

gazjones

i know ive posted some rubbish and try and only post up useful stuff weldone for getting this sorted though

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
Bunnin said:
Can we have a Creche section so the younger 1's can waffle n winge ! :confused: :foot:

bit out of order i would say...

i am 19, do i get into the "creche" just cause i am 19? bit unfair to tar all younger people on the forum with the same brush.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
This is another example of exactly why i posted this in the first place, people taking the opinions of others as being the rules of the site.

I don't remember making any assertions that the young should have a 'creche' and as I am one of the Admins, i guess that means i make the rules doesn't it.

No-one but the admins make policy on these forums.

The site is open to the young and old alike, always has been, and always will be, people don't have to be young to be a pain in the neck either.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I logged on last night when I got in from the pub and got a fright, thinking "**** what have I done?!". :p

Makes total sense to me though, I know exactly how you Admin and Moderator guys feel. There's nothing worse than being a Moderator on a forum for a number of years and seeing it decline so much, that you sometimes feel you don't want to be a part of it any longer. For a few weeks there, I had to take a break from the forum I have moderated on for the past 5 years, because the enjoyment isn't there anymore. All the people who had a lot of common sense about them and enjoyed a bit of banter have gone (or have been put off by the rubbish being posted) and there are too many new unfamiliar people, posting absolute nonsense and taking offence to jokes that used to be shrugged off. I only wish that there could have been a stop put to it at the time like you are all doing, but I think it's beyond help now. It's more of a chore having to read threads there nowadays.

:thumbup: to you all for taking action like this, as I can never see this place being one where I wouldn't want to come anymore. I know I don't say too much, but I enjoy reading it every day and I'm sure it'll continue to be like that, provided everyone takes notice of what ZBOYD had to say. :)

Bunnin

Stealth machine
dav-aberdeen said:
bit out of order i would say...

i am 19, do i get into the "creche" just cause i am 19? bit unfair to tar all younger people on the forum with the same brush.

It was meant as a joke im 23 myself and was relating this to myself aswell thats why i put the "foot in mouth sign up"

Anyway i'll shut before im warned, :no:

oi_nutter2000

New interior's in woohoo!
Feb 20, 2005
Ipswich
Fair comment ZBOYD, I've seen loads of posts i can't decipher and a few that have turned unsavoury (although i found them entertaining!)

Generally though, I think that the site is great and whenever i need help there are plently of people there to give advice. Much more helpful than my local dealer.

20vtB0b said:
It gives you a nice effective way to filter the CVs though ;)

Bob

Don't you just throw half of the CV's away? Seperates the naturally unlucky from the lucky :cartman:

doh! gone off topic again!!:doh:

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Keep it up chaps, you know its worth it.

Many thanks for the forum, & most of what it brings.
You just can't pay for the info that is available on this site, its a free & invaluable source.
Don't get dejected, just get tough as your planning, fully acceptable as its your site to do as you all see fit.

Many thanks for bringing it to us all for as long as you have.

:cheers:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.