In need of some help and advice for a suspected broken gear linkage

bmx ben

Dec 10, 2009
Basingstoke
Hi guys and girls. My ibiza decided I wasn't allowed any gears yesterday morning, under further investigation it's apprent that the link attached the the gear leaver is broken. My question is, is this an easy fix and cheap fix or is it a fix that needs to be done in a garage? I would greatly appreciate any advice given and thank you in advance. I don't have any at the moment but can supply pictures later

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
You can buy a linkage repair kit on ebay for around 20quid and you can do it diy if you have a bit of knowledge of cars. Its a pretty fiddly job but worth doing the complete linkage from stick to box

Search google, there are a few guides online. You will probably need to search for a mk3 golf guide though, but its the same anyway

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Same linkage as the 2.0 16v so yeah it'll be a fairly cheap job, depending on which bit is broken you may need to realign the cables too.

When mine went I was left with 1st, 3rd and 5th, drove it round for a few weeks like that :D

bmx ben

Dec 10, 2009
Basingstoke
From what i can see the cable is broken and swinging freely under the gear stick. I have reverse and 1st to 3rd before she gave up and now I have nothing

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Ah so its under the gear stick that its gone? Usually the bracket that snaps is where the cables go to the top of the gearbox.

Have you been able to get right under and assess what the cause of the failure is? You might also be able to see by lifting the leather gear stick surround up.

New cables arent too expensive - £40ish from what I remember - however I guess it will need adjusting/aligning to get it perfect which I don't know how to do I'm afraid as mine was repaired at a garage. I think it was about £80 all in.

There are two cables so try and find a part number before ordering a replacement.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.