Inertia function in individual mode

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Hey guys,

I have an 1.8 FR with the driving modes and I am still trying to figure out which one is best for everyday driving, mostly in the city and in traffic.

I've come to the following conclusions:

1. The difference between Normal and Eco engine setting is unclear. Did someone noticed the difference in behavior?
  2. The normal steering sucks! The steering wheel is too soft.

So, one might think that the Individual mode should be perfect to combine those 2 features, Eco engine behavior, sports steering... Perfect!

Not really. What I've noticed today is that the Inertia function works only in the Eco mode and cannot be activated in the individual mode.

Any suggestions? Maybe there is a way to do it with VCDS?

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I think eco is ridiculous. I use individual with normal engine, sport steering and eco AC. When I get around to it I will vcds the red lighting on individual and remove the sound actuator from sport mode.

JsyCuPrA

Jun 16, 2003
Oxfordshire
Visit site
p.161:D

Inertia mode
The inertia mode enables the kinetic energy of the vehicle to be harnessed enabling certain stretches to be driven without using the accelerator. This enables fuel to be saved. Use the inertia mode to let the vehicle roll in advance of, for example, arriving in a town.
Switching on inertia mode Important: selector lever must be in position D, gradients below
12 %.
– Select Eco mode ⇒ page 171 once in SEAT Drive Mode*.
– Take your foot off the accelerator.
The driver message Inertia will be displayed. At speeds higher than 20 km/h (12 mph), the gearbox will automatically disengage and the vehicle will roll freely, without the effect of the engine brake. While the vehicle rolls, the engine runs at idling speed.
Stopping inertia mode
– Press the brake or the accelerator pedal.
To make use of the braking force and switch off the engine again, simply press the brake pedal briefly.
Applying both the inertia mode (= prolonged section with less energy) and the switching off using inertia (= shorter section without the need for fuel) facilitates improved fuel consumption and emission balance.

Inertia mode is only available in eco driving mode (SEAT Drive Mode*).

Last edited:

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
I think eco is ridiculous. I use individual with normal engine, sport steering and eco AC. When I get around to it I will vcds the red lighting on individual and remove the sound actuator from sport mode.

Why do you think that Eco is ridiculous? The Inertia Mode looks like a very useful feature when driving in the city?

Why to remove the sound actuator from sports mode, you don't like it that much?

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Why do you think that Eco is ridiculous? The Inertia Mode looks like a very useful feature when driving in the city?

Gotta say that I think inertia mode (in effect a DSG box that coasts when you lift off the gas) is excellent and I can get miles better MPG (By 10MPG+ in my 2.0 150 TDI FR) using it in eco mode than I can with it in normal mode for the same journey and driving style, downhill you can actually GATHER speed using it yet at the same time its very easy to keep in control.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Sorry gents I should say ridiculous on a manual. It just gives you no power until you floor it and hit the kick down.

I always thought it was more efficient to coast in gear and let the momentum turn the engine over rather than use fuel maintaining idle - clearly not on a semi auto.

Last edited:

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Ah, that makes sence now Dean. Throttle responce isnt too bad in eco on the DSG but I suppose that could be because the click down 'click' is reserved for the actual gear changing kick down instead of just full throttle.

I was always under the impression that was the case too, keeping the engine and wheels connected so that the engine drive the wheels for a change but from my own experience that isn't the case with my car.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

masher69

Sep 29, 2013
Northamptonshire
Have not seen this either but would like the option to select it.
I'm a 2.0tdi FR DSG owner and generally use the car in Eco mode as the gear changes are so quick and the coasting is def a fuel saver. The car picks up speed quick enough in Eco when you hit the kickdown button. Only ever use sport when I'm in the mood for a razz about and don't seem to use normal mode ever. If coasting was an option would prob switch to normal mode with that enabled. Need some clever sod with vcds to suss it out!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise